Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
For no apparent reason, everything I've saved in Notes in the past week has gone missing. They are not in my Mac or my iPhone.

Furthermore, though there are many notes in the app, none of them show up until I begin typing in the SEARCH bar.

So...Two questions:

1. Can anyone tell me what might have gone wrong?

2. Looking now for an alternative to Notes. It's become too much trouble. So...any feedback on Evernote or OneNote which might be helpful in making up my mind where to turn? Ease of use and stability being the two main things, of course, the other important things might be whether or not I have to save or do they automatically do that for me and how big "too big" is regarding documents/files within either.

Thanks for any input you have for me.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I hope you can recover your notes and export them to plain text.

I use Simplenote because I write plain text notes (with multi markdown) and it works well on iOS and OS X. For my older MacBook with Snow Leopard I use the web version.

I have written a shell script to rename the text files when downloading all notes from Simplenote's web version. Also nValt saves Simplenote notes into plain text. This is helpful as you can save them into Dropbox directly.

I'm fine with one folder for all my notes because they're named as yyyymmdd-tag-title; so for example 20160209-nart-Everything-buckets is a "note" about an "article" of Everything buckets written today (2016 feb 9).

Last edited:

Kapybarus

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2014
But this could happen to other services too, right? If you dont have backup, you can loose it. I dont think evernote, or simplenote is any better here.

Reactions: aristobrat

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
For no apparent reason, everything I've saved in Notes in the past week has gone missing. They are not in my Mac or my iPhone.

Furthermore, though there are many notes in the app, none of them show up until I begin typing in the SEARCH bar.

So...Two questions:

2. Looking now for an alternative to Notes. It's become too much trouble. So...any feedback on Evernote or OneNote which might be helpful in making up my mind where to turn? Ease of use and stability being the two main things, of course, the other important things might be whether or not I have to save or do they automatically do that for me and how big "too big" is regarding documents/files within either.

I don't know what might be going wrong with your Notes, but I can offer a suggestion for an alternative...

nvAlt on OSX using plain text stored in DropBox. Notesy/Writeroom/PlainText on iOS accessing the same text on DropBox.

I have found this combination to be highly reliable and syncing has been rock-solid in my experiences.

I used EverNote, but it has become bloated and cumbersome. I use OneNote on certain occasions but I find syncing very sporadic. I've tracked the issue down to the use of OneDrive. Even attempting to use OneDrive in other scenarios has resulted in files not syncing.

Reactions: Laisha

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
But this could happen to other services too, right? If you dont have backup, you can loose it. I dont think evernote, or simplenote is any better here.

As I mentioned, I download a backup from Simplenote web site and also nvALT syncs every single note as a text file into a dropbox folder. That last resource saves every note at least in three different places; Simplenote server, my computer, Dropbox server

Reactions: sracer

halledise

macrumors 68000

So...Two questions:

[doublepost=1455132703][/doublepost]unsure why you would've lost yours - do you not have an iCloud account?
all my Notes are automatically stored there and sync seamlessly between MB and iPhone.
if you really need an alternative, Evernote is pretty good

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Are you an MS Office user? If yes, I see no reason to not fully endorse OneNote. The Notes will follow you everywhere across platforms.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I used to use Evernote because I want notes I can see on my iPhone, iPad, Windows PC, and Mac. But with Evernote's increasing pressure to force people into a paid subscription for formerly free features coupled with the fact the MS has released decent iOS and Mac versions of OneNote - I bit the bullet and moved all my notes from Evernote to OneNote. I haven't noticed any syncing issues (yet anyway).

highlystrange

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2015
ÜT: 42.710806,-71.447929
I have to give a nod to Evernote. I'm a writer and frequent note-taker; I use my Mac, iPad and iPhone all the time. Evernote syncs brilliantly with them all. But some people may prefer something simpler--for me, the ability to add an alarm to notes, to take photos within the Evernote app, and many other features, is very useful. My suggestion is to give it a try.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I use Evernote also for pretty much all of my note taking for work, personnel, and school. I like being able to view my notes on any device as long as I have a network connection. However, I am not liking the fact they have gone to a new CEO and have started to kill off some other products. Makes me a little worried about the stability of the company.

I really like it though.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Speaking to the Evernote users, did you receive the survey they sent out and if so did you take it? I would not be surprised if they are going to update their pricing model and there will be increases.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Both Evernote and OneNote are decent options. I've gone back and forth over the years, and have settled on OneNote in past years because I find their UI more obvious, their handwriting support better, and they have been making a big push towards having feature parity on every platform. It's not there yet, but it's been nice to see how fast things have developed. I believe Evernote has a maximum individual note size of 50MB for non-paid accounts, but that information could be outdated. Either system will save your work automatically. I do find that OneNote has been less likely to bother me about conflicting changes than Evernote, even though I use OneNote in our office with many shared notebooks with dozens of collaborators and notebooks exceeding 1GB in size, and used Evernote as a single stand-alone user.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Long time Evernote Premium user, but I'm uncertain about their future. I'm currently migrating ~ 4000 notes to Apple Notes. No harm in having a Plan B ready, and if it works out, I've just found a way to save $50 / year.

rjcchan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Long time Evernote Premium user, but I'm uncertain about their future. I'm currently migrating ~ 4000 notes to Apple Notes. No harm in having a Plan B ready, and if it works out, I've just found a way to save $50 / year.
are web clippings something that can be migrated to apple notes?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The migration attempt failed miserably. I wish Notes were serious competition for Evernote, but it isn't.

I could've told you that. Evernote is outstanding. I wouldn't worry too much about their future. If they fail, someone will swoop in to save them. It's too popular of a solution at this point.

superdx

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Give Notability a try. I've migrated from Evernote > Apple Note > OneNote and Notability seems to be the best so far. Plus it's got Apple Pencil support so it's pretty awesome if you have an iPad Pro.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
[doublepost=1455132703][/doublepost]unsure why you would've lost yours - do you not have an iCloud account?
all my Notes are automatically stored there and sync seamlessly between MB and iPhone.
if you really need an alternative, Evernote is pretty good

It was, you might say, a perfect storm. Hard drive failed, online backup did something weird where the last backup was only partial and that overwrote the second-to-the-last one.

I had also backed up to iCloud because I'm from the DOS days and remember vividly what happened when you forgot to back up. But that copy is the one that is missing much of the data.

I've since learned my lesson. I moved back to Carbonite and also use Time Machine.
[doublepost=1459567843][/doublepost]
Are you an MS Office user? If yes, I see no reason to not fully endorse OneNote. The Notes will follow you everywhere across platforms.

I am. And I will try it.
[doublepost=1459567925][/doublepost]
I used to use Evernote because I want notes I can see on my iPhone, iPad, Windows PC, and Mac. But with Evernote's increasing pressure to force people into a paid subscription for formerly free features coupled with the fact the MS has released decent iOS and Mac versions of OneNote - I bit the bullet and moved all my notes from Evernote to OneNote. I haven't noticed any syncing issues (yet anyway).

Yeah. I tried Evernote but the nagging was far too much for me to deal with.

nelcomm

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
I have been using Google Keep, if you just need simple notes it should do the trick, and its cross platform compatible obviously, can even access it through website. (keep.google.com)

LovinKansas

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015

So...Two questions:

OneNote is free from Microsoft and is fully ported to IOS. Works great and I use it daily.
[doublepost=1459957582][/doublepost]
As I mentioned earlier, OneNote syncing can be a sketchy affair. At the very least a person should give it a test before committing to it.

Have been using it for a year. Never an issue.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I am absolutely enamored with OneNote. I run it on my MBP, iPhone, and at work I have to use a Galaxy Tab and have it on there as well. It syncs great across all the devices and is a breeze to use. I haven't had the same issues others have had with the syncing as mine has synced perfectly across iOS and Android devices.

Until they do something to drastically screw it up, I will probably never consider switching from it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It is nearly impossible for me to use OneNote across more than one device without having to troubleshoot one issue or another. Here's a typical error I get...

Screenshot 2016-04-16 05.36.33.png

...and here is a recommended solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.