Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
So: my "new-fer-you" 2015 Retina 27" iMac (which I have had since September) is being absolutely glacial at startup and for about another 15-20 minutes . . . which as "not very nice".

MacOS 12.7.3 8GB RAM

Has anyone any bright ideas?

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
First thought: failing internal drive.

Any way you could try booting from an external drive?
You could boot from recovery (press alt at startup) use Disk Utilities to clone your internal to an external, and if the external boots fine, continue to boot from it until you can get the internal replaced.

Does booting in safe mode help? (Press shift at startup)

If it's only a problem with the boot time and it works like it should after a while, you could simply stop shutting it down, and just set the display to sleep after a period of inactivity. I keep my mac running 24/7.

But you should seriously diagnose that drive the best you can. Start with Disk Utilities.

What kind of drive is it? The original 'Fusion Drive'?

Anyway, you should back up that disk, if it's not already backed up.

Reactions: Brian33

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
So: my "new-fer-you" 2015 Retina 27" iMac (which I have had since September) is being absolutely glacial at startup and for about another 15-20 minutes
Typical symptom of a failing Fusion Drive (an SSD+HDD combo). Could be the SSD failing. Could be the HDD failing.

Your options are -
  1. Split your Fusion Drive. Install and boot macOS from the internal HDD and restore from backup. If you are still experiencing issues, the HDD could be failing.
  2. Replace the internal Fusion Drive (the SSD+HDD combo) w/ a single larger capacity internal SSD (or HDD, but SSD recommended). Install macOS and restore from backup.
  3. Install and boot macOS from an external USB3 SSD and restore from backup. This is the easiest solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.