Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I’m sure the white looks great, but my black MKB just arrived, and after handling it I’m thinking there’s no way a white one would stay white for very long. The exterior is a kind of rubbery matte finish that I can’t imagine isn’t going to get grimy over time. I was tempted to go white with a silver iPad Pro 12.9, but I’m confident now I made the right choice.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
My original iPad Pro was gold and I had the white SmartFolio and was pleasantly surprised at how clean it stayed over the two years I used it. If it got a smudge on it, it was easily wiped with a microfiber cloth.

My white magic keyboard (for typing at my work desk) however... is definitely not clean. I'm going to go with the black magic keyboard for my 12.9" Pro. I'd love to see how the white ones fare over a year or two though -- they look FIRE! :)

MrEcted

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
I went to the store to buy one yesterday, it was a really really hard decision! I'm kinda getting tired of dark/black tech (I'm actually one of the crazy people that thinks the white bezels on the new iMac look nice) and the white Magic Keyboard in person looks SUPER clean. It's ridiculously good looking while the black one is nice but kinda meh. It's alright.

I went back and forth for awhile, man that white just looks so good, but I ended up getting the black one in the end because I was worried that the white would look gross after a couple months and be a pain to constantly keep clean. I'm still in the return window though and I'm still mighty tempted to swap out for that white one, it just looks so good! I just have to remember that it's only going to look that sexy for only so long.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Funny as I think the same with the new iMac. Its so nice to see new colours and not just black or grey.... But back on topic I bought a black one to play safe but must admit colours or white would be nice

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I like the while a lot. If I were travelling a lot I’d prefer the black, but since it’s predominantly going to sit at home I don’t mind the white.

Reactions: Eduardo1971

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I went with white. Figured both will age eventually and since I recently just got a new work computer with a white keyboard, it made me want the same for the iPad. A white keyboard is very pleasant when you've been using black forever.

Now I do want to look into getting something to protect the sides of the iPad and possibly the exterior of the MK. I wonder if there are skins out there that could help with this ?

That Logitech keyboard is looking mighty tempting…. I’m simply not sure what to do.
I need to be able to remove the iPad without being afraid of accidentally dropping it. I’d like to start using procreate but can’t since I’m still waiting on my screen protector.

I just wish AppleCare lasted longer than 2 years.

Last edited:

irj

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2007
I’m sure the white looks great, but my black MKB just arrived, and after handling it I’m thinking there’s no way a white one would stay white for very long. The exterior is a kind of rubbery matte finish that I can’t imagine isn’t going to get grimy over time. I was tempted to go white with a silver iPad Pro 12.9, but I’m confident now I made the right choice.
Can I ask a dumb question about the new keyboards? How do they charge, IE are they usb 3 or some other port?

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Can I ask a dumb question about the new keyboards? How do they charge, IE are they usb 3 or some other port?
The Magic Keyboard connects directly to the iPad through the three metal dots on the back of the iPad (not Bluetooth) and draws its power from the iPad (no separate charging). It does, however, have its own USB-C port so you can power the iPad without tying up the iPad’s port if you want to plug peripherals in while charging.

Reactions: MrEcted

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
To be fair, the gray/ black case shows prints and stains horribly :)

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I went to the store to buy one yesterday, it was a really really hard decision! I'm kinda getting tired of dark/black tech (I'm actually one of the crazy people that thinks the white bezels on the new iMac look nice) and the white Magic Keyboard in person looks SUPER clean. It's ridiculously good looking while the black one is nice but kinda meh. It's alright.

I went back and forth for awhile, man that white just looks so good, but I ended up getting the black one in the end because I was worried that the white would look gross after a couple months and be a pain to constantly keep clean. I'm still in the return window though and I'm still mighty tempted to swap out for that white one, it just looks so good! I just have to remember that it's only going to look that sexy for only so long.
The black one looks gross after a couple of months. There are many examples of this on YouTube.

I was constantly cleaning my old black MK. I decided that if I'm going to be doing that anyway, I might as well get a color I find pleasing. Seriously love how the white MK looks on my desk (with my silver iPad Pro). It makes me smile every time I see it.

TOTALLY worth washing my hands and occasionally wiping it off.

MrEcted

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
The black one looks gross after a couple of months. There are many examples of this on YouTube.

I was constantly cleaning my old black MK. I decided that if I'm going to be doing that anyway, I might as well get a color I find pleasing. Seriously love how the white MK looks on my desk (with my silver iPad Pro). It makes me smile every time I see it.

TOTALLY worth washing my hands and occasionally wiping it off.
i think you’ve tipped the scale and changed my mind. White one it is!

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The white smartfolio material cleaned very easily and I found held up better than the grey material the old MK was made of, which also showed off oil marks very quickly. Any slight dirt was easily cleaned off with a little alcohol swab and maybe a magic eraser if needed (rarely).

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Or just slap a dbrand skin on the white MKB
The black one I had for the old 11” aged terribly and would pick up dirt and grime and smudges so easily. Glad I went with the white.

Attachments

• 30D37EF4-6780-4C47-9192-A7C221F117A2.jpeg
    30D37EF4-6780-4C47-9192-A7C221F117A2.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 429

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
How similar is it in construction to the smart folio keyboard? I’ve gone through two of those in 2 years, as they tended to fall apart on the side seam after a year from gentle use and careful opening. Id think a darker one will hide wear and tear easier but will be interested to hear how the white works out!

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Another one for the white magic keyboard case. I have always been a space gray kind of person. Decided to switch it up this time around—that and the fact it seems Apple is heavily pushing white-based themes again. I figured why not and bought a silver phone, silver iPad and silver watch. The white keyboard case looks pretty dang clean/classy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.