Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loco8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
So this happened.
Nvic73G.jpg

This is the crack next to the plastic piece that caused it because when I closed the laptop that thing was sitting there. It was obviously an accident but after doing some research I found out that Apple doesn't cover it as it is considered "accidental damage". The computer is 6 months old and it has already had some major reparis such as replacing the whole screen and the keyboard and touchbar. This is the worst macbook I've ever bought.

But anyway, I've found a repair guide (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replac...the+MacBook+Pro+15+"Touch+Bar+2017+logo/96767) and apparently you can buy this "chin" on ebay/aliexpress for about 10-20$. The thing is that I don't see myself capable of doing this without messing up or scratching the rest of the screen. Is it worth the try or should I leave it as it is now? Is there any chance that the crack will get bigger?

Has this happened to any of you? Any advice?

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
What is that plastic piece from that you said caused the issue? I totally get that it is the worst to have Macs fixed given the price, but I would say that Apple is right in considering it "accidental damage" if it was indeed an accident that caused damage?

loco8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
What is that plastic piece from that you said caused the issue? I totally get that it is the worst to have Macs fixed given the price, but I would say that Apple is right in considering it "accidental damage" if it was indeed an accident that caused damage?
I have no idea because I had never seen it before, I don't know where it came from or why was on my mac. Tomorrow I'll try contacting apple and if they can't fix it i'll try it for myself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I could be wrong but the display panel is laminated, so the glass, LCD and components are a single piece and apple may quote you an entire display panel

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
Actually you can count yourself lucky, as that plastic piece go little bit higher it will crack your screen. Then is not about $10 or $20 to fix.

Reactions: loco8

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
I have no idea because I had never seen it before, I don't know where it came from or why was on my mac. Tomorrow I'll try contacting apple and if they can't fix it i'll try it for myself.

Apple can definitely fix this. However, this kind of damage would definitely be considered accidental, and wouldn't be covered under the warranty since it only covers defects.

You can try to repair it yourself, but you may be voiding the warranty since that part most likely isn't considered repairable on its own (as @maflynn suggests).

Macbook broke

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
So this happened.
Nvic73G.jpg

This is the crack next to the plastic piece that caused it because when I closed the laptop that thing was sitting there. It was obviously an accident but after doing some research I found out that Apple doesn't cover it as it is considered "accidental damage". The computer is 6 months old and it has already had some major reparis such as replacing the whole screen and the keyboard and touchbar. This is the worst macbook I've ever bought.

But anyway, I've found a repair guide (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replace+the+LOGO+Baffle+on+the+screen+with+the+MacBook+Pro+15+"Touch+Bar+2017+logo/96767) and apparently you can buy this "chin" on ebay/aliexpress for about 10-20$. The thing is that I don't see myself capable of doing this without messing up or scratching the rest of the screen. Is it worth the try or should I leave it as it is now? Is there any chance that the crack will get bigger?

Has this happened to any of you? Any advice?
Worse. I broke the same thing only my macbook 2017 with no touch bar broke and the liquid display now has lines vertical and horizontal. I think i had it in my bag and i leaned on it too hard and broke the shell. Dammit now its going to cost me a fortune to replace it. People told me to get a new one. Never ever buying a macbook again. Imma get the microsoft surface instead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.