Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
I live in South America and find myself in need of replacing both the front and back glass. I can probably hold off on the back glass although the camera lens is cracked but works okay.
I went to 2 authorized Apple stores and another store - they all want $300 for the front glass.
I was unaware that there are different grades of glass. I found another store with good google reviews that offered to replace the front glass for about $185. The glass is "Triple AAA," though I guess he meant Triple A. I can't seem to get good info on the glass on the Internet. Is it good quality? I don't want the glass to crack easily. That would defeat the whole purpose.
Thanks.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Tripple A or AAA isn’t any norm or says anything about durability.

Back glass is not reparabel. Buy a different phone

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Tripple A or AAA isn’t any norm or says anything about durability.

Back glass is not reparabel. Buy a different phone
It is but it's a very messy process and Apple avoids it like the plague. That's why they charge so much, they replace the whole housing, which I can suggest to OP also. He would be able to find genuine housings instead of third party ones and either move the internals himself or ask a repair shop to do it for him.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It is but it's a very messy process and Apple avoids it like the plague. That's why they charge so much, they replace the whole housing, which I can suggest to OP also. He would be able to find genuine housings instead of third party ones and either move the internals himself or ask a repair shop to do it for him.
Apple absolutely doesn't replace the housing, the only option is to give you a white box replacement device. They take your old smashed phone and it's sent to a processing plant that disassembles it completely, cannibalizes it for reusable parts and sends those parts somewhere to be made into more white box replacements.. Replacing the housing is a 3rd party solution...

Reactions: maerz001

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Apple absolutely doesn't replace the housing, the only option is to give you a white box replacement device. They take your old smashed phone and it's sent to a processing plant that disassembles it completely, cannibalizes it for reusable parts and sends those parts somewhere to be made into more white box replacements.. Replacing the housing is a 3rd party solution...
Most likely that but I was just pointing out that replacing the glass is not impossible, but it's not what Apple does.

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2019
Do you live in Colombia or South Africa? In your other thread, you said you live in Colombia and now you are saying you live in South Africa.

... wishy washy... ?

Can you enlighten our foggy roads?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Most likely that but I was just pointing out that replacing the glass is not impossible, but it's not what Apple

There’s like one video of a guy on YouTube replacing the back glass, but he’s not using genuine parts number one and number two, I question the validity of the actual work completed, especially when with the Wireless charging coil connector in tandem. My point is, no one really attempts that process.

Reactions: maerz001

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
There’s like one video of a guy on YouTube replacing the back glass, but he’s not using genuine parts number one and number two, I question the validity of the actual work completed, especially when with the Wireless charging coil connector in tandem. My point is, no one really attempts that process.
Yes i also saw one where they partly could destroy the glue with laser. But the phone lost water resistance and wireless charging...

I don’t understand Apple why they don’t come up with a solution. Ok it brings them money;)

On one side they always try to green wash their products but than they glue together hundred of millions of iphones.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
First, AAA, A+, A++ or any other bollocks are just made up quality markings for aftermarket replacement displays. Do not trust those, your only option with a third party route is to get it replaced with a refurbished display. There are places where they do this in-house (my workplace does this), others order it from refurbishing factories.

Second, back glass repair is possible. What you need to know about the "messy" part is that it can't be done in a way that was originally done. The camera ring(s) are larger than the cutout on the glass piece, the glass sits between the ring and the housing. The ring and the housing is welded together. There are back glass replacement parts which have larger camera cutouts so it can go through the camera ring. The latter repair option is the cleanest of the two, because the first one requires you to cut the ring from the housing with dremel, then glue it back after you fitted the glass.

Retaining water resistance with B7000 glue is possible but in no way guaranteed. But you blew water resistance with the first crack on the glass anyway.

Wireless charging is not affected with this process, only if the repair technician lacks knowledge.

Currently this can be pulled off by either using heat (around 250C for 8, X, XS, 11 Pro, 200C for XR and 11) or laser.

Reactions: tt061282

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
First, AAA, A+, A++ or any other bollocks are just made up quality markings for aftermarket replacement displays. Do not trust those, your only option with a third party route is to get it replaced with a refurbished display. There are places where they do this in-house (my workplace does this), others order it from refurbishing factories.

Second, back glass repair is possible. What you need to know about the "messy" part is that it can't be done in a way that was originally done. The camera ring(s) are larger than the cutout on the glass piece, the glass sits between the ring and the housing. The ring and the housing is welded together. There are back glass replacement parts which have larger camera cutouts so it can go through the camera ring. The latter repair option is the cleanest of the two, because the first one requires you to cut the ring from the housing with dremel, then glue it back after you fitted the glass.

Retaining water resistance with B7000 glue is possible but in no way guaranteed. But you blew water resistance with the first crack on the glass anyway.

Wireless charging is not affected with this process, only if the repair technician lacks knowledge.

Currently this can be pulled off by either using heat (around 250C for 8, X, XS, 11 Pro, 200C for XR and 11) or laser.

Yes 100%. This is what I did with my original iPhone X in 2017. At the time I used a Dremel to cut the camera ring off and did it that way. I’ve since realized that it’s much easier to just get the glass away from the camera ring and use the back glass with the bigger cutout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.