Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captaincrunch92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
I'm having some minor glitches arcross my screen whenever I play any kind of video on youtube or wherever online it happens randomly. this is my 2nd 2016 Macbook pro to do this, the last one had the same issue but was much more worse so I returned it and had to wait a whole month for a new one. please any advice on how to resolve this ??

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I'm having some minor glitches arcross my screen whenever I play any kind of video on youtube or wherever online it happens randomly. this is my 2nd 2016 Macbook pro to do this, the last one had the same issue but was much more worse so I returned it and had to wait a whole month for a new one. please any advice on how to resolve this ??

No details required.
IMG_0866.JPG

Reactions: Fzang
Jul 4, 2015
Paris

It's the drivers of iGPU and dGPU switching back and forth during video playback. If you disable automatic graphics switching you will see the YouTube videos play normally.

It will be fixed in an update.

captaincrunch92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
It's the drivers of iGPU and dGPU switching back and forth during video playback. If you disable automatic graphics switching you will see the YouTube videos play normally.

It will be fixed in an update.

So I have to wait until there is an update from Apple ? I cant do something to fix it manually ?

captaincrunch92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
are you sure? cause I'm new to the Macbook pro I wouldnt know exactly how to do that and do you think I'd be wasting my time going into an apple store and telling them the issue ?
[doublepost=1483252838][/doublepost]nevermind I just did it, hopefully the glitch stops I really appreciate the help thnx

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
are you sure? cause I'm new to the Macbook pro I wouldnt know exactly how to do that and do you think I'd be wasting my time going into an apple store and telling them the issue ?

It works for me and others around here. It's very doubtful that a hardware glitch could exist in a GPU in 2016-2017 because the testing procedures use by Nvidia and AMD are so much more advanced than just a few years ago. They don't just put the chips through hardware tests, they also simulate their chips in software to test for errors.

Drivers are another matter. When you have an Intel GPU driver and an AMD GPU driver switching back and forth then it requires more testing. They have different architectures so they approach colour profiles and Quartz rendering differently. Unfortunately the Polaris graphics chip was only available very deep into the development of Sierra so it's no surprise that the drivers still need work.

I personally think it's a mistake for Apple to release a new OS every year. Of course bugs will appear at the beginning of every release. A new OS every three years and people wouldn't notice the bugs so much. They should also have a permanent beta program like Microsoft uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.