Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Hey guys,

I've been noticing glitches in Sonoma (.3 latest and even previous had these issues) when I watch lets say a H264/H265 video in Safari (HBO Max) or watching an H265 video in IINA or VLC as well as TV app.

Things slow down sometimes especially in TV app and theres a ton of glitches.

Generally I know that glitches means a bad card, but this issue only started happening later versions of Ventura and into Sonoma.

I also dual boot into Windows 11, and there's zero glitches there even when I run high demanding AAA games at 4k.

I submitted multiple bug reports to Apple and hopefully they look into it. Intel is on the way out, I'm worried that Apple will never fix this issue. :(

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Interesting, I haven't had any glitches in mine and i watch a lot of H.264 media. Cant say I've tried much h265 though.

smckenzie

macrumors member
May 7, 2022
Over in the 3D world there are known issues with Metal and the compiler on Sonoma with AMD/Intel Macs. It slows performance to a crawl amongst other things. Apparently these issues are due to be resolved with Sonoma 14.4 and 3.5.24 of Redshift.

Wondering if there's some link somewhere with what your having?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Over in the 3D world there are known issues with Metal and the compiler on Sonoma with AMD/Intel Macs. It slows performance to a crawl amongst other things. Apparently these issues are due to be resolved with Sonoma 14.4 and 3.5.24 of Redshift.

Wondering if there's some link somewhere with what your having?

I'm just gonna chalk this one up as a loss since Apple is moving away from Intel. Oh well.

That's a possibility, it seems like driver related issues on a fresh boot on macOS Sonoma

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.