Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I started noticing this yesterday, when typing in any web browser (Safari, Chrome or Firefox), audio playing in the background (Music or Spotify) glitches out. Anybody else noticing this? its not as severe in Safari, but its really bad in Chrome and Firefox). I noticed its becoming more apparent in Safari as I type this.

Latest updates installed, only thing I have modified is attached a Dell monitor I got from work.

Just did a test in Microsoft Word, it happens there a tiny bit.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Hello there,

Not M1 Mac but 16" Intel. No Glitchy audio here when typing.
On Big Sur 11.5.1 as well.

ELand-SX70

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
I do have this problem. No distortion but popping sounds, like the ones you hear when you are connecting a headphone with a 3.5mm plug to an already active device. I can’t reproduce it and randomly appears

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
I get the popping sound you described and also can not replicate it on demand. It seems it happens most when the song is switching to the next song and often when I’m using AirPlay to to a stereo pair of HomePod Minis, but also happens when only playing from my M1 iMac speakers as well. Have never noticed it on my M1 MBP.

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
The OP didn't mention "popping".

No the OP did not, but it could be related, which is why myself and others decided to give input. No need to defeat the thread with no contribution.

And just on top of that, how does a valuable thread continue without input from other MacRumors Members. I feel this is the exact reason some members won't contribute as they fear this kind of response or otherwise. I know I did for the longest time. Input from other MacRumors Members is how these forums work.

Last edited:
Reactions: daniiv

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
No the OP did not, but it could be related, which is why myself and others decided to give input. No need to defeat the thread with no contribution.

And just on top of that, how does a valuable thread continue without input from other MacRumors Members. I feel this is the exact reason some members won't contribute as they fear this kind of response or otherwise. I know I did for the longest time. Input from other MacRumors Members is how these forums work.
I didn't mean it to come across like that. If it had been me I'd have asked the OP, "I'm experience a 'popping'. Is that similar to what you're hearing?"

In my digital audio experience I've heard "distortion", "popping" or "dropouts" at various times but not really at the same time.

I'm not trying to stifle input nor do I have the power. It just seemed a little bit like thread hijacking.

daniiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2021
After updating my m1 mac to the latest beta the glitchy audio when playing music from yt & tidal got a lot worse... Why does not Apple fix this? (Btw I experienced the same kind of issue with Big Sur)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.