Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howboutjoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I spent two days this weekend deciding which screen to get on my new MacBook Pro. Countless searches revealed one thing: If you hate the glossy, you don't understand how anyone could like it and anti glare is the only way to go. You also hate how you always see your reflection, etc, etc...

I don't hate the glossy display. It's really pretty, especially when conditions are right. I've got a 27" Cinema Display and it's gorgeous. I assumed that there would be a trade off in getting the anti glare.

I don't hate the anti glare display either.

I'm not a graphic designer, so color accuracy isn't the most important thing to me.

Fortunately, my wife has a 2010 15" MacBook Pro with the glossy screen, and my dad has a 2010 15" MacBook Pro with anti glare. So, I had the opportunity to compare them side by side, while doing the same things in real places. Here is a stream of important things to know:

• In direct sunlight, neither will be useable, but glossy might blind you.
  • If the reflection factor is going to bother you, it will do so immediately
  • At the lowest level of brightness, glossy is essentially a mirror
  • The anti glare is a damn nice screen, no dropoff in quality

Bottom line is that I chose the HD anti glare screen. Not because I hate the glossy, but because both screens looked equally nice, but the anti glare looked nice more often. I'll also say that I was going to go HD no matter what, and that the cost to upgrade to anti glare was worth it. If I was not committed to HD, I don't think I would have upgraded to HD just to go anti glare, but if you're on the fence, and are definitely going HD, I think anti glare is the way to go.

That's my two cents. I hope this helps someone, since could have used this info two days ago :)

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I spent two days this weekend deciding which screen to get on my new MacBook Pro. Countless searches revealed one thing: If you hate the glossy, you don't understand how anyone could like it and anti glare is the only way to go. You also hate how you always see your reflection, etc, etc...

I don't hate the glossy display. It's really pretty, especially when conditions are right. I've got a 27" Cinema Display and it's gorgeous. I assumed that there would be a trade off in getting the anti glare.

I don't hate the anti glare display either.

I'm not a graphic designer, so color accuracy isn't the most important thing to me.

Fortunately, my wife has a 2010 15" MacBook Pro with the glossy screen, and my dad has a 2010 15" MacBook Pro with anti glare. So, I had the opportunity to compare them side by side, while doing the same things in real places. Here is a stream of important things to know:

• In direct sunlight, neither will be useable, but glossy might blind you.
  • If the reflection factor is going to bother you, it will do so immediately
  • At the lowest level of brightness, glossy is essentially a mirror
  • The anti glare is a damn nice screen, no dropoff in quality

Bottom line is that I chose the HD anti glare screen. Not because I hate the glossy, but because both screens looked equally nice, but the anti glare looked nice more often. I'll also say that I was going to go HD no matter what, and that the cost to upgrade to anti glare was worth it. If I was not committed to HD, I don't think I would have upgraded to HD just to go anti glare, but if you're on the fence, and are definitely going HD, I think anti glare is the way to go.

That's my two cents. I hope this helps someone, since could have used this info two days ago :)

Thanks for the info. I've got a 15 in MBP in a saved cart with hires antiglare screen and I've been looking for some real world comparisons. I have a 13 in MB with the glossy screen and I see everything behind me like looking in a mirror. After tilting the screen and adjusting my posture (to guarantee a backache) I get rid of the last reflections and get work done. To me anti glare is a good thing but not a must have. I wish there was an anti glare option on the more affordable 13 in MBP. I just got done doing my taxes and find that the money I thought I had "lying around" for a MBP is going to go to the IRS so while I might have a nice 15 in mbp sitting in a saved cart and weighing in at a over $2400 with AppleCare, I will either lower my sights or wait a year. Thanks again for the info!

kurumi

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Too far from anywhere.
I used to own both a glossy MBP (late 08) and a matte screen (early 2010). It really comes down to personal preference. I myself, love the matte screen (less glare and easier on my eyes), but the colors do look worlds better on the glossy screen. If I could have the best of both worlds, I would gladly do so, but my eyes got the best of me and I got my matte screen.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I think the glass screen has best picture.

anti-glare just makes the screen a bit less clear.

so depends on what tradeoff you want.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I have the anti-glare on my 15" Macbook Pro and it is absolutely gorgeous.

I've also compared them side by side and the anti-glare doesn't look any less clear. The coating is a MUCH higher quality than older matte panels and doesn't diffuse the light coming off the screen at all.

I wish they'd make this screen available on the Macbook Air and the 13" MBP. Heck, they can stand to make extra money since it's an extra-cost add-on, and more happy customers would result.

I wouldn't give up my anti-glare 15" screen for the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.