Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Without any changes on my part, Gmail app notification banners no longer show a preview of the email message and instead just say "You have a new message". I checked both iOS and Gmail app settings and don't see a way to fix. Anyone else experiencing this and/or have a suggested fix?

SteveS801

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2023
Just updated the Gmail app today, had this same issue. After searching and finding no answers, I just rebooted my phone and cleared the notifications, now the previews are back.

Also, the 'Trash' option within the lock screen notification itself was changed, simply adjust your conversation swipe actions and it will return.

Last edited:

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Had this around the time of this posting, seeing it again now.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Well, it had resolved itself for me without any further action on my end, but after yesterday's update, I again have this issue

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
IOS 17.1.1 is doing it for me as well on 15 pro max... it just says:

GMail: Notification

(or something like that, no preview)

EDIT:
I went into the notification settings for Gmail... there's an option that it doesn't show the previews unless the phone is unlocked. (versus ALWAYS) I didn't get a chance to mess with it, but it looks like that might be the answer.

Last edited:

Strebor

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2022
Restarting just worked for me too.
iPhone 15 pro max, iOS 17.2.1
Latest gmail app version

jawfur

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
IMG_4485.png
i am having this issue. i have attached a screenshot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.