Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IphoneFinally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
I've had my iPhone 12 for 3 weeks and a day, and for the past week or so the Gmail app says "no connection" and no mail comes through. I have tried restarting my phone and that worked once, most time that doesn't. My data does work in the browser and other apps so I am connected. Anyone have this issue at any point in the past or know a fix? I am a former Android user so this is all new and weird to me. I do know that I don't like the native Mail app so that is not a "solution." Thanks for any help or insight.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've had my iPhone 12 for 3 weeks and a day, and for the past week or so the Gmail app says "no connection" and no mail comes through. I have tried restarting my phone and that worked once, most time that doesn't. My data does work in the browser and other apps so I am connected. Anyone have this issue at any point in the past or know a fix? I am a former Android user so this is all new and weird to me. I do know that I don't like the native Mail app so that is not a "solution." Thanks for any help or insight.
Are you connected via WiFi or your mobile connection when you experience this?

IphoneFinally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Are you connected via WiFi or your mobile connection when you experience this?
It happens with both. So I tried turning off wifi thinking that was the issue. But again I can browse the internet and use other apps so data is coming through on the phone.

IphoneFinally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
I should also add. I have tried force closing the apps twice and still no connection. Just eventually connected again.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It happens with both. So I tried turning off wifi thinking that was the issue. But again I can browse the internet and use other apps so data is coming through on the phone.
Well, in case of your cell connection you can turn off data on a per app basis (under Settings > Cellular), so that might have been potentially something to check. With WiFi, perhaps there might be something blocked on the access point/router side of things?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that might make a difference?

IphoneFinally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Well, in case of your cell connection you can turn off data on a per app basis (under Settings > Cellular), so that might have been potentially something to check. With WiFi, perhaps there might be something blocked on the access point/router side of things?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that might make a difference?
I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I have just waited for it to work again since one doesn't realize it is not working unless I am expecting mail so it's been tough to sort of pinpoint or time.

IphoneFinally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I have just waited for it to work again since one doesn't realize it is not working unless I am expecting mail so it's been tough to sort of pinpoint or time.

I reinstalled and it seems iPhone may default to the same settings. I noticed GMail did not have access to cellular data. Maybe that was the cause. Without knowing it, I may have transitioned off Wi-Fi and that may be the reason why. Twice I had “no connection” when I was out of the house.

Caviar_X

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I had this same problem. I deleted and reinstated the app and it seems to kinda resolve it. I’m waiting on new mail to come in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.