Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
I just had a stroke of genius. What if, one could harness Gmail's huge amount of server space and somehow have it host your files as if a web server? I don't personally know if it could be done.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
oh.. well i wasn't first with it, but as long as it is possible. i have an old hp from 8 years ago, and i doubt it will handle this, but i will give it a try..

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I haven't read the link yet, but what would be the URL to the files so you can access them either via a URL or to put an image up in the tags?

Or are you simply wanting to use it as an "external HD"?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
tech4all said:
I haven't read the link yet, but what would be the URL to the files so you can access them either via a URL or to put an image up in the tags?

Or are you simply wanting to use it as an "external HD"?[/QUOTE]From reading the article, I believe it is the latter. If somebody wrote a suitable device driver so that Gmail storage looked like an external or network disk to Mac OS X, the same thing would work on a Mac. If.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.