Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
It’s a none issue - otherwise Apple wouldn’t accept Google’s $12billion a year to be the default search engine on Apple products.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's obvious that they're opening up the iPhone to outsiders. Did anyone see this--

https://bgr.com/2020/09/18/ios-14-features-google-widget-chrome-gmail-defaults/

How far does this go? And how much will this option to set Google (or other) apps as default compromise on the security of iOS?

Does this in some way also undermine the privacy-centric features in the latest Safari versions?

Thanks!
So Apple finally allows the customer to choose what email app and browser app they want to use and BGR interprets that as an attack on your privacy?

Yes, Google will attempt to monetize your use of their apps - which Apple allows in the app store, according to Apple's rules. Apps on your iDevice have to be sandboxed and follow Apple rules as well. Yet somehow BGR interprets this as an attack.

Of course, none of this happens if you DON'T select Chrome or the Gmail app as your defaults! BGR conveniently and rather obliquely mentions that towards the BOTTOM of the article.

I really don't think anyone should be considering BGR as a legitimate source for real news. It's clickbait.

Reactions: d.o.p.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Yes, Google will attempt to monetize your use of their apps - which Apple allows in the app store, according to Apple's rules
Not sure what you mean here. I have customised all privacy related settings Apple allows and I was under the impression that my data is neither being read by apps, nor monetised. Am I missing something here?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not sure what you mean here. I have customised all privacy related settings Apple allows and I was under the impression that my data is neither being read by apps, nor monetised. Am I missing something here?
The nature of your question and the link you posted infer to me that you are concerned about Google violating your privacy. My response is that if you don't set these as default apps then Google can't *violate* your privacy. And even if you DO set these as your default apps, they can only do what Apple allows them to do.

The second part of my reply is simply stating that anything coming from BGR is clickbait and is hardly worthy as a news source.

Reactions: AMSOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.