Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I didn't see one specifically for my problem. I went into my Gmail account this morning to find many of my emails deleted. I had folders set up for my emails that I need to reference quite often, like for my bank account, my credit card account, etc. Some of these emails were very old, but very important to me. These folders are empty and I'm devastated.

Has anyone else had this problem? I admit I'm not that great at cleaning out my emails, but Google had no right to delete them as I consider them my personal property.

Thanks in advance for your interest in my problem.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What app are you using to access your gmail account?
An internet browser (accessing as webmail) (Which browser?)
Or, using your Mac's mail app? or some other email app (such as Thunderbird, etc.)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Log into Gmail in a computer browser and click on "Details" in the bottom right corner of the page to check the recent activity connecting to the Gmail account. See if there's anything out of the ordinary.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
What app are you using to access your gmail account?
An internet browser (accessing as webmail) (Which browser?)
Or, using your Mac's mail app? or some other email app (such as Thunderbird, etc.)
I'm using the Gmail app on my phone and iPad. I use either Firefox or Chrome on my computer.
On my phone and iPad I use Safari. I've not changed this for many years and have never had this problem. I cannot see the lost emails on any of my equipment. I've never used my iMac's mail app.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Log into Gmail in a computer browser and click on "Details" in the bottom right corner of the page to check the recent activity connecting to the Gmail account. See if there's anything out of the ordinary.
Thank you. I did as you said and don't see anything unusual as far as I know.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you. I did as you said and don't see anything unusual as far as I know.
If everything is OK with what then you can have more confidence that no one has accessed your Gmail.

The emails are missing on the webmail site also, correct? Did you search for them and/or look through the All Mail folder?

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
If everything is OK with what then you can have more confidence that no one has accessed your Gmail.

The emails are missing on the webmail site also, correct? Did you search for them and/or look through the All Mail folder?
Yes to all your questions. They’re gone. One of the folders that’s completely empty now contains email attachments of my checkbook spreadsheets, which is really disastrous. I was counting on that to help with taxes when I sell my house this year. Expenses on our house.
I’ve contacted Google but I doubt I’ll hear back.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
This is a scenario I haven't considered before. I've always thought I'd probably use webmail if I only had one email account but I wasn't considering the backup aspect. Extracting emails from your Mac's backups can be a real pain but if you don't download them to an app on the Mac in the first place no home backup will contain them.

Reactions: NoBoMac

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
On Ventura one can go into Stem Preferences->Internet Accounts and make sure the Google Account is setup correctly for ail if you choose as well as other service to turn off or one of your choice!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"One of the folders that’s completely empty now contains email attachments of my checkbook spreadsheets, which is really disastrous. I was counting on that to help with taxes when I sell my house this year. Expenses on our house."

ummmm...

If you don't mind my saying so, this is really not the way to be storing sensitive information like that.

It should be kept ON A DRIVE that is UNDER YOUR DIRECT CONTROL.
And backed up on one or two more drives that are ALSO under your control.

I would re-think things for the future...

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
if you access your gmail via the IMAP protocol you don't get all mail, only the most recent ones. Via the website you can see more. I had this problem once .. took me quite a while before I figured out that one.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
if you access your gmail via the IMAP protocol you don't get all mail, only the most recent ones. Via the website you can see more. I had this problem once .. took me quite a while before I figured out that one.
I'm going to really show my ignorance now but I don't know what IMAP means. Anyway, until this week I've been able to access ALL my emails on my iPhone, iPad and my iMac (via the website). But I do appreciate the information SjoukeW.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
OP wrote:
"One of the folders that’s completely empty now contains email attachments of my checkbook spreadsheets, which is really disastrous. I was counting on that to help with taxes when I sell my house this year. Expenses on our house."

ummmm...

If you don't mind my saying so, this is really not the way to be storing sensitive information like that.

It should be kept ON A DRIVE that is UNDER YOUR DIRECT CONTROL.
And backed up on one or two more drives that are ALSO under your control.

I would re-think things for the future...
I don't mind at all Fishrrman and you are 100% correct. Stupid me. However, as for the future, I'm afraid there's not that much left. I'm nearly 80, which is why I'm trying to cover all my tracks before I go to the giant email server in the sky.

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
I'm going to really show my ignorance now but I don't know what IMAP means. Anyway, until this week I've been able to access ALL my emails on my iPhone, iPad and my iMac (via the website). But I do appreciate the information SjoukeW.
IMAP is the protocol spoken between a mail server and a mail client like Apple mail or Mozilla thunderbird.
Officially you get all mail which such a protocol. Only google decided to deviate from it 😖

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You might try signing into Gmail using a web browser (rather than an email app, like "Mail").

Then start scrolling and exploring, like Sjouke says above.

It might work.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
OP:

You might try signing into Gmail using a web browser (rather than an email app, like "Mail").

Then start scrolling and exploring, like Sjouke says above.

It might work.
Oh, I've done that, several times. With Firefox and Chrome. I even cleared the cache and tried it again. No luck. But thanks for your suggestion.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Did you check the deleted items/bin?
Mails just don’t dissapear like that.
Try to search also for the recovery function in gmail.
Yes, I've checked every possible folder there is in my account, including trash and "All Mail". I agree emails shouldn't just disappear like that, but believe me, mine did I went into gmail's recovery function and got the following message: "Unfortunately, your missing emails were permanently deleted, and we can’t get them back."

The folders I kept my important emails in are either empty or still have a few. What's weird, for example, in one folder (2020-2022 payment confirmations), there are three from 2022 and only one from 2020. Why are most from 2020 and all from 2021 missing? Makes no sense. No, I didn't accidentally delete them. I had no reason to do that. The only time I went into that folder was to add emails.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Yes, I've checked every possible folder there is in my account, including trash and "All Mail". I agree emails shouldn't just disappear like that, but believe me, mine did I went into gmail's recovery function and got the following message: "Unfortunately, your missing emails were permanently deleted, and we can’t get them back."

The folders I kept my important emails in are either empty or still have a few. What's weird, for example, in one folder (2020-2022 payment confirmations), there are three from 2022 and only one from 2020. Why are most from 2020 and all from 2021 missing? Makes no sense. No, I didn't accidentally delete them. I had no reason to do that. The only time I went into that folder was to add emails.
It sounds very strange. I would push gmail customer service to provide a solution.
There is no way they can't help.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Thank you Silvestru. I’ve contacted them twice with no response. there may be many others with the same problem and they’re behind. I’ll keep trying and report back here if I get a solution.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One other thought:
I'd consider a different email provider (rather than Gmail).

Hmmm...
This doesn't help now, but might for 2023 (since we're here already):
Create a new folder on the Mac: "Taxes 2023".
Put sub-folders into it as needed.
Put all your tax documents into them, instead of "into the email".

Reactions: Clix Pix

GBaughma

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
So... silly question... but do you have your mail set to show "All" or just "Unread".
I had a user do that... couldn't figure out why emails were "Disappearing"... turns out they were there, just not shown.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
So... silly question... but do you have your mail set to show "All" or just "Unread".
I had a user do that... couldn't figure out why emails were "Disappearing"... turns out they were there, just not shown.
It’s set to “All”. My folders (where the real problem is) contained, or did contain, all opened emails. Not a silly question, by the way. I’ve made that mistake before.

Reactions: GBaughma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.