Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
why does my gmail notifier always ask me for my password and the wierd graphic "what is this showing" thingie?

what is the point of a gmail notifier that takes constant attention? why isn't it working properly for me?

thanks,
r.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Could you please post a screenshot of the error that you are experiencing?

I am using GMAIL notifier in XP with no problems. It starts up when I boot up and does not ask for my password.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
whyrichard said:
why does my gmail notifier always ask me for my password and the wierd graphic "what is this showing" thingie?

what is the point of a gmail notifier that takes constant attention? why isn't it working properly for me?

thanks,
r.

Though some might disagree, I would venture that this is a known "bug" in the Windows Gmail Notifier. It happens on all the WinXP systems I've tried it on. (prompting for the password all the time) even if "remember" is checked.

If you use Google Talk instead it still notifies you of new Gmail but you won't have to keep dealing with the password nonsense. (The Mac version of Google Notifier does not have the bug either).

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
when i had my windows machine, i would get that same prompt. it was very annoying and pretty much defeated the purpose of having the notifier installed.

sorry to say i couldn't find a way around it. the mac version works very nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.