Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

climr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I've been working on this mostly for personal use, but thought you guys might want to give it a try.

It's a pretty complete Gmail interface but requires no scrolling/zooming on the iPhone, is compact so it will load much quicker than the full Gmail application. It is setup to auto-refresh every 5 minutes so your new emails should pop up automatically (but I'm not yet sure if that happens when safari is in the background). Also supports sessions so it will remember you each time you visit.

My motivation was to have a quick loading version of Gmail that would be decent to use over the cell network, is sized for the iPhone screen but maintains full features that you lose when using m.gmail.com (contact lists, labels, html viewing, etc.).

Anyway, feel free to check it out.

http://www.gmail4iphone.com

If there is any real interest I'd consider moving it to a faster, more dedicated server.

Brad

climr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
well, I'm using the libgmailer php library that is open source. So technically you could look at the source. But of course you still have no guarantee that I haven't modified something. That's the main reason that I intended it to be for my use only. But it turned out so nice that I thought I'd share. But FWIW, I promise I'm not stealing passwords.

If someone can think of a way to verify password security, let me know.

here's a screenshot btw:

bigss.jpg

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
so if u made for personal use, whats the point ??
like he said hard to people trust this.

:rolleyes:

bostonte

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Hello-

Looks good.

Do you realize how many accounts he would have to harvest passwords for in order to have anything useful?

To the OP: have you considered open sourcing your front end to the other libraries so people who are concerned could run it themselves (and also not use your bandwith)? I'm also sure there are a few that would purchase a limited license to run their own copy, should you be able to figure out the GPL issues and ask a reasonable price.

Just a few thoughts. But thank you for posting and keep up the good work. It should be embarassing to those Ajax web 2.0 wizards at Google that you've put together something so quickly...

climr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
so if u made for personal use, whats the point ??
like he said hard to people trust this.

:rolleyes:

Well there are dozens if not hundreds of 3rd party applications for Gmail, Gtalk, aim, yahoo, etc... ( http://wwwm.meebo.com/ is just one example). There seem to be plenty of users for these applications...all/most of which could be stealing your password.

climr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hello-

Looks good.

Do you realize how many accounts he would have to harvest passwords for in order to have anything useful?

To the OP: have you considered open sourcing your front end to the other libraries so people who are concerned could run it themselves (and also not use your bandwith)? I'm also sure there are a few that would purchase a limited license to run their own copy, should you be able to figure out the GPL issues and ask a reasonable price.

Just a few thoughts. But thank you for posting and keep up the good work. It should be embarassing to those Ajax web 2.0 wizards at Google that you've put together something so quickly...

Thanks - it is open source BTW (see gmail-lite package): http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=116304

My specific implementation just changed some aesthetics to work well with the iPhone screen. Anyone with a server that will work with php/curl should be able to get a version of this going pretty quickly. If someone wants a copy of the changes I've made then just let me know. I don't think there is money to be made here....and there are obvious security concerns. Hopefully the folks at Gmail will provide IMAP in the near future anyway and I won't need this anymore.

bostonte

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
thanks for the link. I missed that were just tweaking the lite library. I'll have to take a look and see what I can cook up on my own server. I use Gmail too much to mooch off yours.

Again, thanks.

ludosabato

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2007
Apple seemed to nail it right on the head of how to do Mail on the iPhone. Columns tend to get squashed. what about going more in their direction in terms of design?

good work so far.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
uphonehome.com

I've been working on this mostly for personal use, but thought you guys might want to give it a try.

It's a pretty complete Gmail interface but requires no scrolling/zooming on the iPhone, is compact so it will load much quicker than the full Gmail application. It is setup to auto-refresh every 5 minutes so your new emails should pop up automatically (but I'm not yet sure if that happens when safari is in the background). Also supports sessions so it will remember you each time you visit.

My motivation was to have a quick loading version of Gmail that would be decent to use over the cell network, is sized for the iPhone screen but maintains full features that you lose when using m.gmail.com (contact lists, labels, html viewing, etc.).

Anyway, feel free to check it out.

http://www.gmail4iphone.com

If there is any real interest I'd consider moving it to a faster, more dedicated server.

Brad

You need to get this added to this front page app... if you can... thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.