Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayMtl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Montreal
I'm having a tough time coming up with justification for purchasing an Intel iMac when I'm currently working on a Rev. C G5 iMac. Yes, I was one of the many who leapt on the Rev. C iMac when it was released in October and now I'm on the verge of switching to an Intel iMac to help appease the frustration after hearing the MWSF news.

BUT...everyone knows the risks of a Rev. A, furthermore, all those universal binaries still need to come out. So is an Intel switch a good decision, in general, or is it likely to result in a more precarious situation. Should I hang on to the perfectly fine G5 iMac I currently have or go Intel?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
As dependable Macs have been to me over the years and as much as I love all things Apple, there would be no way I would invest in a first revision Mactel. I don't believe all the wrinkles have been ironed out yet for starters (and past issues with Rev A's have shown this). Considering Apple's past record I'm sure the Rev A Mactels will see a quick update to B.

I mean let's face it, Apple can't possibly know all the possible failings of their machines until they put them out there in the real world for real people to use them in many different circumstances. Rev A's to me have always seemed like the beta version of their machines. But that's just my personal opinion. For me, I'm happy to wait for at least a Rev C.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
your imac is top of the line until many programs and utilities are available and robust for intel. that is in 6 month or so. by then you mac had 9 month of being top of the line. that's more than any of the intel macs will have because intel will make at least small speed boosts every few month. enjoy what you have and switch in 2007.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I'm likely going to get the new iMac soon, but not for a few weeks until I hear reports on how it's working. Since you have a pretty good computer at the moment, you should wait - set a deadline and decide what to do in a month.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't think the new intels are really for people who have computers less than 6 months old. After all you pretty much have a top model there... However if you were upgrading from a G4 imac, then yes... Intel mac will be much faster.

JayMtl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Montreal
andiwm2003 said:
your imac is top of the line until many programs and utilities are available and robust for intel. that is in 6 month or so. by then you mac had 9 month of being top of the line. that's more than any of the intel macs will have because intel will make at least small speed boosts every few month. enjoy what you have and switch in 2007.
Great point, andiwm2003, however I don't use many pro applications, which are the ones that have yet to be converted. The main point of contention for me is that a Rev. A, regardless of it being an Intel upgrade, is never as reliable as a Rev. B or C. I think on this basis I am going to stick with my current Rev. C iMac instead of testing the waters on the very first Intel product Apple makes. :)

The only reason I linger is because I'm actually able to sell the current iMac for a price similar to what I purchased it at, which makes it tempting to just take a leap of faith and order an Intel iMac.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Jaymtl,

I'm in the same boat you are. I bought a G5 iMac a couple of weeks ago, fully knowing that the intel macs were coming out. I was surprised when the first desktop to sport an intel chip was an iMac, so I was tempted to return my G5, get the refund and by the intel iMac, especially if it runs up to 3x faster.

But, i decided to keep my G5 mainly for the reason that the rev. C iMac is a tried and tested machine with pretty much all the kinks worked out of it. I figure Apple will need some time to iron out the wrinkles of the mactels and by the time they got it right, it'll probably be time to upgrade by then. i think you'll also see some pretty quick upgrades to the intel chip over the next few months. So, even if you got the intel iMac, it probably wouldn't be long before it became obsolete. Besides, I love my G5 and it does everything I need perfectly.

So, if it makes you feel better, I'm keeping my G5 too. Enjoy yours, I certainly am.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I would wait for at least a Rev B iMac with an Intel processor. Though, the new iMacs are very, very nice machines- so is your iMac G5 that you just bought.

JayMtl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Montreal
sers said:
Jaymtl,

I'm in the same boat you are. I bought a G5 iMac a couple of weeks ago, fully knowing that the intel macs were coming out. I was surprised when the first desktop to sport an intel chip was an iMac, so I was tempted to return my G5, get the refund and by the intel iMac, especially if it runs up to 3x faster.

But, i decided to keep my G5 mainly for the reason that the rev. C iMac is a tried and tested machine with pretty much all the kinks worked out of it. I figure Apple will need some time to iron out the wrinkles of the mactels and by the time they got it right, it'll probably be time to upgrade by then. i think you'll also see some pretty quick upgrades to the intel chip over the next few months. So, even if you got the intel iMac, it probably wouldn't be long before it became obsolete. Besides, I love my G5 and it does everything I need perfectly.

So, if it makes you feel better, I'm keeping my G5 too. Enjoy yours, I certainly am.
Well said. I think I just needed to get over the notion of there being another iMac release only a few weeks after the Rev. Cs were put out. But the whole time I think I was forgetting the fact that my Rev. C has been completely flawless in its performance. I doubt I could expect such fantastic performance from a Rev. A product, Intel or not. At this point I'll wait until the Rev. As have passed and all Macs have transitioned before deciding what else to obsess over. :)

Thanks for the wise words, all.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
I have a Rev A iMac G5 and have been using it for a year. I haven't had a single problem with it. So all this about Rev A not being good is rubbish. However you might want to be more concerned that this is the first *intel* Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.