Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
For several years now, I have been left in charge of the web-sites for a couple of local annual events. Since the GoDaddy account is now in my name, I also have my own personal web-site up through this arrangement.

I inherited this arrangement from a local business that went out of business. This guy had all kinds of sites hosted and domain names registered through GoDaddy. When he liquidated, he offered me custody of the sites I was in charge of. (I had previously been making up the sites on my Mac, then burning them to a CD-R or a thumb drive, then giving them to him, and he would upload them.)

The sites see limited traffic, as two are just annual events and the third is just my personal site.

For the two annual events, the sites are just simple sites with a collection of pages all naturally centered around a home page. I create these simple pages in iWeb. (Yes, it still works, and yes, I know I will have to find another editor someday soon.) I created my own personal site using Adobe Muse.

I just had GoDaddy renew my subscription for four years for hosting. Annual costs per year for domain name registration are nearly as much as the hosting. The four year plan for hosting cost me $239.52. It should come due in March of 2022. The domain name registrations for two of the three sites (the events) cost $48.32 and will come due in March of 2019.

I have thought about migrating away from GoDaddy. I have also thought about doing more active things with my own web-site, like making it into a hub for a few blogs I want to do. I occasionally do amateur videography (I have, and have repeatedly used, Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro for projects in the past, including recording of public meetings and creation of C-SPAN-style DVDs of these events), I've done a tiny bit of podcasting (GarageBand) and a lot of photography of various subjects (mostly iPhoto, which I have 65,000 photos in since I started digital camera shooting in Dec. of 2001). I dropped my Facebook account a few years ago, but lately I've been a little active on Twitter and Instagram. My YouTube account is dormant, but there.

I'd love to do some commentary and information sharing through blogs, and maybe vlogging and/or podcasting. I may be starting a new job soon, which would make it easier for me to buy newer equipment because some of my tech portfolio is dated (I still use a tape-based HDV camcorder). I want to be able to share information and commentary, but also to build a more up-to-date professional portfolio of my experience and KSAs (knowledge, skills and abilities).

Back to GoDaddy for a moment: I've seen negative chatter on Twitter but I'm not sure what to believe. I have received some "web designer" spam in my one e-mail box that I use for communicating with GoDaddy. Other people echo this same story and allege that their information has been sold to spammers. I haven't seen direct evidence, but I do not like this at all.

I also have had repeated calls to GoDaddy Tech Support in the past because I've had difficulty uploading updates of a given web-site. Sometimes, GoDaddy's servers do not accept the upload. I'm using FileZilla and uploading an entire site, fresh every time. Over the past several years, it usually works but this has been annoying. (It was GoDaddy that recommended FileZilla for FTP activity.)

I also wonder if it is money well spent.

For securing the domain names for each of the annual events, GoDaddy charges me twice once for ".COM Domain Renewal" ($15.17 per year) and again for "Private Domain Restoration Renewal" ($8.99/yr.). I assume my own personal web-site is a similar charge. Fortunately, the event organizations have been picking up the tab.

I would like to move to newer software and possibly phase out GoDaddy. I'd like to be able to add software experience to my portfolio, but I'm not really wed to Muse. I definitely want to move on from iWeb. I have Office 365 and a temporary subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud, but I'm just trying out the Office subscription for the bennies to see if I like it, and I'm not sure about the A CC subscription long-term. Much of this depends on how the work situation works out in the short term.

What alternatives are out there for web-site hosting and domain name security? Are there any that will not sell my info? Are there any that are good as far as hosting/server service?

I understand there are two kinds of WordPress, one is a pay service and the other is not. (?) I understand that one is a web interface that you use to create simple sites, and the other I'm not sure of.

I need something cheap and simple like iWeb for the event sites. I'm not sure about using Muse for that purpose, as it is much more sophisticated and would take longer to edit and update sites.

In short, what are my options?

What I currently use:

iMac, late-2013, 2.9 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, SuperDrive
iPad Mini
Canon Digital Rebel T3, kit & telehphoto lenses
Android smartphones
point-andshoot Canon PowerShot camera

Office 365 subscription
Adobe CC subscription
Final Cut Pro Studio 3 (FCP 7)
iPhoto 2011
iWeb
iWork
DSL internet connection (no fiber optic available)
local cellular service not the greatest

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
What alternatives are there to GoDaddy? Any ethical players out there? How do I transition from one to another?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Just a couple notes for you, @Wingsley: Adobe Muse was recently discontinued, so it is probably best to move somewhere else if you're looking to gain experience and expand your skillset. And the two versions of Wordpress are both web interfaces. The difference between the two would be that one is hosted by the company of the same name, and the other is software you download and install on your own hosting.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
For me, it isn't the grotesque elephant hunting CEO that's driving the decision to look elsewhere. It's that I'm getting the feeling that the grotesque elephant hunting CEO is running a company that may not value my nearly decade-long relationship as their customer. The grotesque elephant hunting merely fits an evolving pattern.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
For me, it isn't the grotesque elephant hunting CEO that's driving the decision to look elsewhere. It's that I'm getting the feeling that the grotesque elephant hunting CEO is running a company that may not value my nearly decade-long relationship as their customer. The grotesque elephant hunting merely fits an evolving pattern.
Neither disagree with the fact that guy is a douche nor that leadership and values trickle down through a company.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I have an Adobe Creative Cloud membership that's been sponsored by a local business office for a couple of years now. I don't use it all the time, but most of my use is in Acrobat Pro CC, InDesign CC, Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC. I have tried Muse in the past to create a small personal web-site. I found it a far better alternative to the learning curve with Dreamweaver. (Prior to Adobe's acquisition of Macromedia, I tried learning GoLive; I never transitioned over to Dreamweaver.)

I may be getting a new job soon. If I land a good one, I may start my own Creative Cloud subscription, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

I like having the freedom and power of having the entire CC suite at my fingertips. But I understand that Muse has been discontinued.

Over the last several years, I've been an amateur web-master. I have my own personal site (a small one done in Muse) and the sites of two local annual public events (both done in iWeb; yes, I'm still using iWeb).

I'm thinking about expanding my presence on the web, by building a more substantial portfolio site with interlinking blogs, and maybe a vlog. A lot of it will depend on the new job bringing in more money and replacing my GoDaddy account (which hosts all three sites and gets me the domain names for them.)

My question is this: if Muse and iWeb are fading into the sunset, and I'm not happy with the way GoDaddy treats me, where do I go from here? Do I have to dive into Dreamweaver? What if the two local events want me to rely on cheaper (preferably free) web design software? And how do I shop around to replace GoDaddy? And, most importantly of all, how do I transition from GoDaddy to another hosting/domain service that will treat me better?
[doublepost=1522863095][/doublepost]Also, how do I "keep in the loop" and keep up to date on what's happening with CC? I had no idea Muse had been deep-sixes until I learned about it on this forum.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Years ago, I migrated from GoDaddy to NameSilo for domain registration, and I'm extremely satisfied with the savings and convenience. I manage over 100 domains for a mix of several business interests and personal sites. The savings have been significant, and I don't miss GoDaddy at all. As I have my own hosting servers, I can't help you with that.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
If you chose not to do business with companies whose executives are unsavory, you’d quickly run out of shopping options.

Most likely, but I do not tolerate violence against animals; if I can get away from these people I will. This company has a terrible reputation anyway.
[doublepost=1522871619][/doublepost]
I migrated from CrapDaddy to name.com, so far so good.

Reactions: ignatius345

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Try pair networks and pairnic for domain name registration. I've used them for years, very solid company and in my experience easy to work with.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Do you have links for those outfits, so I get to the right places? Thanks.

brujaz

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
New York, NY
I use dreamhost.com for web hosting and some domain registrations, and I'm happy with them. They offer free whois privacy protection and seem to be an ethical company.

I also use namecheap.com for domain registrations. They offer more flexible dns options like dynamic dns, and also have cheap whois privacy protection.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Apparently pairnic has renamed themselves to pair domains, www.pairdomains.com -- same outfit though. And they also offer custom DNS, dynamic DNS, free whois privacy, domain transfer protection, etc.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If you chose not to do business with companies whose executives are unsavory, you’d quickly run out of shopping options.

So, you give the guy a pass on murdering elephants because... "they're all bad"? That's pretty weak logic.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So, you give the guy a pass on murdering elephants because... "they're all bad"? That's pretty weak logic.
I’m fairly certain that’s not what I said.

Also, murder pertains to humans, not animals.

Finally, the article you posted was a joke of an excuse for journalism. But that’s really neither here nor there I suppose.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I’m fairly certain that’s not what I said.

Also, murder pertains to humans, not animals.

Finally, the article you posted was a joke of an excuse for journalism. But that’s really neither here nor there I suppose.
You can mince words about what's "murder" or not, but it's sh*tty to kill elephants, full stop. There were dozens of pieces about that when it came out. Go have a look.

Reactions: rafark

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
I tried to find a GoDaddy alternative a few years ago and could not. I stayed because it was "good enough" and the reviews online for other services were wildly contradictory, even from "respected" websites, so it scared me from switching.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
What alternatives are there to GoDaddy? Any ethical players out there? How do I transition from one to another?
There are many, many alternatives.
The best choice actually depends on how much traffic you site sees.
For example:
For a personal site ( minimal traffic, mostly just me ) I have been using:
www.namecheap.com ( very inexpensive, for very light hosting ).
For commercial sites ( light to very heavy traffic I have used most of the following ):
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-web-hosting-services

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.