Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazzstve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Is anyone who normally goes caseless and have AppleCare+ reconsidering walking around caseless now that Apple retail stores are closed indefinitely?

Knowing that it could be many weeks before I would be able to schedule a warranty repair (if I was unlucky enough to drop and crack my phone screen during the COVID-19 lockdown) has me putting my Apple leather case back on my phone (for now). Having AppleCare+ usually makes keeping my phone out of a case an easier decision, but in the present circumstances I can’t rely on that for at least a month.

osta.doc

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
I never use a case, so I’m not adding one to my 8 now either. However, I do have an SE backup if I were to destroy my 8, until I could get a replacement.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I tried but I can’t bring myself to do it for more than a couple of hours. I have AppleCare too but until I know the store is open I’ll just keep it in my case. It’s too bad because its much easier to one hand, and a lot lighter with no case, it feels like a brick in a limitless 2.0. But at the same time it’s fallen out of my pajama pants a few times once with no case and I almost had a stroke.

Reactions: Jazzstve

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I generally don’t use a case unless I’m going to the gym or going on holiday. Since I’m pretty much stuck in the house I don’t see any reason to put a case on when 24/7 I’m in literally the safest place I can possibly be.

Last edited:

Jazzstve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
There is online support if it breaks...

Thanks for the reminder on this. I’ve only recently discovered this while researching online. For AppleCare+, it seems pretty effortless - they’ll send a unit to you before you have to send yours back. Definitely a good option if needed.

Reactions: compwiz1202

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Is anyone who normally goes caseless and have AppleCare+ reconsidering walking around caseless now that Apple retail stores are closed indefinitely?

Knowing that it could be many weeks before I would be able to schedule a warranty repair (if I was unlucky enough to drop and crack my phone screen during the COVID-19 lockdown) has me putting my Apple leather case back on my phone (for now). Having AppleCare+ usually makes keeping my phone out of a case an easier decision, but in the present circumstances I can’t rely on that for at least a month.

I got rid of my XR and went back to a 7... Got tired of waiting for the new SE and the 7 was cheaper than the 8. Still waiting for the new SE. However, the iPhone 7 is quite a neat little phone and I am so happy that Apple is reviving this design. I miss wireless charging like we would get in the 8 and everything above though. Here's the thing though, even with the Covid-19 Pandemic I always use a slim case, even though I hate cases. I just don't trust myself without one. When the SE is finally released, I will go caseless and replace my phone when I break it... lol!
[automerge]1586111544[/automerge]
I never use a case, so I’m not adding one to my 8 now either. However, I do have an SE backup if I were to destroy my 8, until I could get a replacement.

I have a rose gold se and rose gold 6s for backup... Hoping to never have to use them hence the case. Not that I care so much about the color, because I don't and I did rock the rose gold phones for a while while I needed to, I just prefer white or black.

Reactions: primarycolors

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I'm using my 11 sans a case now. I like its size without any case. Putting a case on makes it's width closer to a Plus-sized iPhone I had before and defeats the purpose of getting a smaller footprint phone. I could still use mine one handed without a case.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
I would say that is a really stupid thought process and probably indicates you should be using a case and are completely admitting it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Use a case if you're worried.

I have a case and a broken screen protector. It works for me
My wife breaks (expensive) screen protectors all the time. I'm Ok with that, I prefer paying for a new screen protector to paying for a new screen :) (Same as motorbikers not complaining when their helmet breaks).

Reactions: AustinIllini

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I am going caseless with my 12 Pro. I got AppleCare+ to have the piece of mind that if something happens, I can get it repaired cheaply. However, I usually take good care of my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.