Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Looks like a cool project. I still prefer full-towers though but I have a lot of space. I have the same CPU and my temps are typically around 30 degrees plus or minus a few degrees but I have a monster air cooler and a bunch of case fans. The i7-10700 is a pretty nice CPU. It isn't as fast as the 11th Gen stuff nor Zen 3 but it's cheap, and you can get them really easily now.

Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Looks like a cool project. I still prefer full-towers though but I have a lot of space. I have the same CPU and my temps are typically around 30 degrees plus or minus a few degrees but I have a monster air cooler and a bunch of case fans

It wasn't really about space, got plenty, just saw the opportunity to get it all in one location keeping everything neat, tidy and occupying a way smaller space, although I do generally find most PC cases a bit ugly in their standard form whatever size.

Now that the outside temp in Scotland has returned to a more normal level after our mini-heatwave it has improved further. Mid to high 30's is really quite nice and that is where I would expect it to stay for the majority of the year.

Admittedly I am spoiled with the new Mac Mini being totally silent, when I turn on the PC the fan noise did annoy me. That is the other benefit, this thing is near-silent to maintain the temps below. Even when it ramps up to maintain around 60c it is quiet enough not to be annoying.

1627741774900.png

On my previous machine, it took a Dark Rock Pro 4 and 4 case fans to keep it in the low 30's at any time.

Ultimately my needs are not that significant anyway so it will never be under that much stress.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What app are using to display the temps, and performance?

Dark Rock Pro 4
I've found from some reviews that one of the best air coolers is the Noctua NH-D15 and various people have reported that Noctuas fans run quieter then BeQuiet's

I can say from personal experience that NH-D15 works wonderfully, and the only noise coming from my case, is the GPU fan when I play games. I will say that I do love the look of the BeQuiet's cooler and I'd probably be still using it, if it would have fitted inside my case/motherboard.

I am starting to lean closer to building a new machine in a different case. The motherboard I selected has disappointed me in a few areas and I think I want to go with an Asus or MSI. Plus given the improvements that intel has made, go back to intel. I guess I really am an intel fanboy, lol

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It wasn't really about space, got plenty, just saw the opportunity to get it all in one location keeping everything neat, tidy and occupying a way smaller space, although I do generally find most PC cases a bit ugly in their standard form whatever size.

Now that the outside temp in Scotland has returned to a more normal level after our mini-heatwave it has improved further. Mid to high 30's is really quite nice and that is where I would expect it to stay for the majority of the year.

Admittedly I am spoiled with the new Mac Mini being totally silent, when I turn on the PC the fan noise did annoy me. That is the other benefit, this thing is near-silent to maintain the temps below. Even when it ramps up to maintain around 60c it is quiet enough not to be annoying.

View attachment 1813147

On my previous machine, it took a Dark Rock Pro 4 and 4 case fans to keep it in the low 30's at any time.

Ultimately my needs are not that significant anyway so it will never be under that much stress.

My fan speeds are running 800-1,000 RPM so there isn't really any noise. I think that my M1 mini fan speeds are actually higher but I can't hear them because the mini is behind one of the monitors. The desktop is underneath a table so I probably couldn't hear it even if they were running faster. My PCs are in the basement so it's the coolest place in the house. In the winter, the Windows desktop runs around 24-29 as the basement is unheated. I have to put on a few layers of clothes or use a space heater to stay warm.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I guess I really am an intel fanboy, lol

I am your average consumer in that regard, I have only ever used intel, never had a real reason/desire to use AMD, not suggesting one is better than the other, it just comes down to what I am used to. A bit like iPhone.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
What app are using to display the temps, and performance?

I've found from some reviews that one of the best air coolers is the Noctua NH-D15 and various people have reported that Noctuas fans run quieter then BeQuiet's

I can say from personal experience that NH-D15 works wonderfully, and the only noise coming from my case, is the GPU fan when I play games. I will say that I do love the look of the BeQuiet's cooler and I'd probably be still using it, if it would have fitted inside my case/motherboard.

I am starting to lean closer to building a new machine in a different case. The motherboard I selected has disappointed me in a few areas and I think I want to go with an Asus or MSI. Plus given the improvements that intel has made, go back to intel. I guess I really am an intel fanboy, lol

Intel is easier to buy. I have been considering an 11th gen but I don't really need one. At some point, they will be able to put more than eight performance cores in a desktop CPU.

Reactions: maflynn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I am your average consumer in that regard, I have only ever used intel, never had a real reason/desire to use AMD, not suggesting one is better than the other, it just comes down to what I am used to. A bit like iPhone.

AMD performance compared to Intel is much, much better. Intel has nothing on the desktop to match the Ryzen 5900x and 5950x. AMD just has the huge transistor budget with TSMC.

Reactions: LeeW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.