Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Very hard time justifying indeed. Went over it multiple times back and forth and I’ve decided paying close to $1800 CAD for dynamic island, USB-C, some minor camera improvements and always on display is not worth it. There is no “it” feature that improves my everyday experience like 120HZ had for the 13 Pro series. I hope apple is able to deliver something for the 16 pro or 17 pro series and it’s not just incremental upgrades forever.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
I have a 13 and I’m ready to upgrade to a 15.

Dynamic Island
48MP main camera
2x zoom
6gb RAM
USB-C
2000 nits peak brightness outside
Cinematic mode up to 4k 30 fps

I personally think it’s a great upgrade, especially for the camera and the extra RAM.
cinematic mode...meh

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
And yet Apple sells phones in 2023 without a high refresh yet…
Then no one would buy the pro models. That’s literally what’s holding me back on getting a non pro model now that they have telephoto capabilities..

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I have a 13 PM and I already knew I wasn't upgrading. I actually think the upgrades to the 15 PM are pretty decent, but I'll wait one more year in the hopes that Apple puts some additional polish on some of the new features (and maybe makes another big battery life leap). The rumors of a larger display and stacked batteries in the 16 PM/Ultra is also a big enough deal to me to wait.

But my husband has an iPhone 11 that's running out of storage. So we'll be getting at least the iPhone 15. It will be interesting to see if Apple sees a bump in iPhone 15 (vs previous gen iPhone 14) sales due to the new connector. I know if it wasn't for usb-c we'd be going with the iPhone 14 for the discount, but I WILL have my household on one charging cable sooner rather than later so I'm going to make my husband go for the iPhone 15 (he doesn't care and will get whatever I tell him to).

I HOPE so badly the camera is better for every day shots compared to the iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max. That's really my only complaint with my current phone. Indoor shots in average lighting are overexposed and overprocessed often enough that I've really messed up capturing some cute moments with my kid.

Reactions: TJ82

snowatom

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark

Dynamic Island
48MP main camera
2x zoom
6gb RAM
USB-C

I personally think it’s a great upgrade, especially for the camera and the extra RAM.

Dynamic Island = Meh...
48MP main camera = Pixel Binding and a slightly better quality, neat, but then again, new is always better.
2x zoom = Neat
6gb RAM = Don't miss the extra 2GB today, so... meh..
USB-C = Neat, but not something that would make me upgrade
2000 nits peak brightness outside = Neat, but have gone without for so long, and don't have major issues
Cinematic mode up to 4k 30 fps = Didn't use it in 1080P, guess I won't either in 4K

Also 4K is not used on my iPhone. I use 1080P 60fps. Using 4K is a waste of storage. You do get more pixels in the video, but not the quality of 4K. A mobile camera just has a to small optical lens to provide genuine 4K.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
With some effort, I am sure you will find a way.

I am in the same situation. It all seems like a nice bunch of upgrades from the 13 Pro but not life-changing.

Reactions: one more

EW800

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I’m in the same boat. I currently have the 13 Pro Max. I had thought about “upgrading” to the 15 Pro, but following todays lackluster event I just don’t think it is worth it. So sad….

Reactions: koigirl

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Well it’s good you saved money not upgrading. Last year the watch ultra was my favorite purchase. Really nice step up from my series 5. This years release have been pretty dull on iPhone and warch.

skrungemaster

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2020
If people start posting pics taken with the 15 pro max camera and they’re amazing, I’ll upgrade.

But if they look the same as the 14 PM, lol then no thanks. I think we can all agree that the processing on iPhones sucks, and if they haven’t improved it on the 15 that would be really sad. I’m so tired of my picture coming out looking like an oil painting.

Reactions: Booji

maymeow

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
I was really tempted to upgrade my green 13PM to 14PM just because I love purple color and i never had purple phone (I haven't done it, maybe i do it now when prices goes down 🤷‍♀️)

When we talk about new one, I don't know - titan is nice, usb-c is nice to have but it is not lifesaver (i have USB-C on my samsung for years but barely using it 😁) and even colors are in my opinion boring... so there is nothing that can convice me to upgrate do 15PM.

Never say never, but after Apple event looks like there is no upgrade to iPhone 15 for me that i can justify. (Let's see what will says tech community)

vyral_143

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2023
I am on 13 and after keynote, not convinced enough to splurge. I am running out on my 128GB storage though. So need to find some middle-ground.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Honestly guys its going to be like this next year also, just small iterative updates in the same slab phone form factor. Apple need to announce their foldable soon as people are getting bored of the same thing every year. At least they finally switched the iphone to USB C though!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

Dynamic Island
48MP main camera
2x zoom
6gb RAM
USB-C

And Emergency SOS by Satellite.

tsupersonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2022
NY
I just got my 13 earlier this year for a killer deal (upgraded from SE2). This iPhone 13 is still fantastic with excellent battery life. The only feature that has me excited is USB-C, since all my other devices in the house are USB-C. But it’s not worth paying $800 just for using the same connector for charging.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Every new iphone from now on will have small incremental upgrades. I cant see there being any major changes year on year. The tech has reached a point where it's just so good that there's little left. Unless Apple makes a drastic change, like foldable phones etc, I feel we have reached peek maturity.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Every new iphone from now on will have small incremental upgrades. I cant see there being any major changes year on year. The tech has reached a point where it's just so good that there's little left. Unless Apple makes a drastic change, like foldable phones etc, I feel we have reached peek maturity.
Agree.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
What’s your point? Moving to a Pro phone is worth the high refresh rate.
That it is ridiculous that iPhone sells phones at over 700 USD without this. All their competitors have at least 90 hz at this price point.

SamboSoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2020
I have a 12 mini and the small battery is just killing me. I need more battery capacity and I think I’m ready for a bigger screen too. I mainly use the iPhone for listening to music, FaceTime, emails, MS Teams (work) and the usual stuff. No gaming or heavy photo taking work.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I have a 12 mini and the small battery is just killing me. I need more battery capacity and I think I’m ready for a bigger screen too. I mainly use the iPhone for listening to music, FaceTime, emails, MS Teams (work) and the usual stuff. No gaming or heavy photo taking work.
I was in the same situation as you. I ended up getting rid of my beloved 12 Mini for a regular 13. I haven’t had any issues with battery since the switch, it provides a true all day battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.