Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariogt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Santiago, Chile
I don't like write a big wall of text for telling a history but this is my experience going from Catalina to Big Sur and back to Mojave.

I'm a developer and I have to test my software from macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) to the newest macOS available (Big Sur), my machine is a 6 core 2,6 GHz MacBookPro 2018 16GB ram - 500GB SSD, I mistakenly updated my machine to Catalina some months ago, then after several bugs, crashes, general slowdowns, and poor battery life, I made the jump to macOS Big Sur Beta 5 hoping for restoring some of the peppiness of my machine, some speed gained but still, the battery life was bad, only 4 o 5 hours at most, lots of bugs in XCode, and several incompatibilities in some drivers for hardware that I use. The strategy to me was always put the newest macOS in my laptop and then install older macOS in VMs for testing, but the tradeoffs that I have to made with Catalina (and Big Sur) was too much, the lost of 32bit compatibility, losing almost all my steam games, losing Wine, losing previous perfectly working VSTs, then the awful battery life, noisy and hot machine when connected to my external 4k monitor, and slower performance almost on everything, was too much for me. Long story short I downgraded to Mojave and now I'm getting near to 8-9 hours of battery life, my MacBook Pro feel snappier and it's not overheating any more, all my software and hardware works, rock-solid XCode and dev tools, I set up my dev environment to the inverse, Catalina and Big Sur in VMs for testing and development on Mojave. Now I'm happy but at the same time sad because for the first time like a Mac User (from 1993) and Mac Dev (from 2000) I had to downgrade my main OS to had a fast a reliable machine.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
From
Mojave world: I feel for you, and understand the disappointment and frustration ?
Thanks for reporting your experience. I will treasure it.
Catalina is off the chart for me. We are incompatible to each other.
I was hoping in Big Sur, it still a beta there is still room for improvement..maybe ?
I will try it at Big Sur 16.8 not earlier , if.....
Good luck!

Mr.PT

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2020
I don't like write a big wall of text for telling a history but this is my experience going from Catalina to Big Sur and back to Mojave.

I'm a developer and I have to test my software from macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) to the newest macOS available (Big Sur), my machine is a 6 core 2,6 GHz MacBookPro 2018 16GB ram - 500GB SSD, I mistakenly updated my machine to Catalina some months ago, then after several bugs, crashes, general slowdowns, and poor battery life, I made the jump to macOS Big Sur Beta 5 hoping for restoring some of the peppiness of my machine, some speed gained but still, the battery life was bad, only 4 o 5 hours at most, lots of bugs in XCode, and several incompatibilities in some drivers for hardware that I use. The strategy to me was always put the newest macOS in my laptop and then install older macOS in VMs for testing, but the tradeoffs that I have to made with Catalina (and Big Sur) was too much, the lost of 32bit compatibility, losing almost all my steam games, losing Wine, losing previous perfectly working VSTs, then the awful battery life, noisy and hot machine when connected to my external 4k monitor, and slower performance almost on everything, was too much for me. Long story short I downgraded to Mojave and now I'm getting near to 8-9 hours of battery life, my MacBook Pro feel snappier and it's not overheating any more, all my software and hardware works, rock-solid XCode and dev tools, I set up my dev environment to the inverse, Catalina and Big Sur in VMs for testing and development on Mojave. Now I'm happy but at the same time sad because for the first time like a Mac User (from 1993) and Mac Dev (from 2000) I had to downgrade my main OS to had a fast a reliable machine.
Thanks for the feedback. My 2018 MBP is at tech repair because even after clean install it won’t upgrade past High sierra...they’ve found no hardware issues and are waiting for Apple feedback. I asked to get it running Catalina, but now really considering going back to Mojave, though I’ve no issues with the 64bit only restriction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.