Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Has anyone done this and justified the price tag?

I plan on giving my xbox one to my nieces and nephews so this would be the main reason.

However, just wondering if you noticed a difference with a non-4k tv (1080p). I hear some people say they do, some say its miniscule.

I also could use the extra storage (500gb vs. 1tb).

Eventually I will be getting a 4k tv, but my main concern is e3 if they are going to release an updated version / new color / price drop / etc.

Any thoughts?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I plan on giving my xbox one to my nieces and nephews so this would be the main reason.

However, just wondering if you noticed a difference with a non-4k tv (1080p). I hear some people say they do, some say its miniscule.

Eventually I will be getting a 4k tv, but my main concern is e3 if they are going to release an updated version / new color / price drop / etc.

Any thoughts?

Where you’re going to have the largest advantage is having a 4K TV, I doubt you’re going to notice too much of a difference with a 1080P TV. I certainly can see the difference with my Samsung 4K TV. Also, being that the Xbox One X has not even been available a year, there likely won’t be any discounts direct from Microsoft, unless it’s exclusive through a retailer for a limited time.

Reactions: Eggtastic

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Any thoughts?

You'll be able to tell the difference with HDR, textures, and framerates if the Xbox One X patch for that game supports it...

I can tell the difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro (1080p) on an XGA projector (1024x768).

Gamestop has them $50 off right now plus an extra 25% for any trade-ins towards the system...

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I made that switch with the Scorpio edition.

I didn't have a 4k tv right away, and could tell the difference. Even on the games that didn't have special patches for them. The biggest plus was the solid framerates no matter what was going on the screen.

I love the fact that it stays cool and silent majority of the time. Every now and then, usually after a 3 hour session of COD WWII online I will hear the fans spin up, and it's about as loud as those little usb fans you can plug into your phone.

I now have a 4k tv. and holy hell is it nice.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The main benefit is the higher frame rate for gaming. The difference between 30FPS and stable 60FPS is day and night for action games.

Also, display resolution is not everything. The rendering resolution is definitely more important than display resolution if already at Full HD. Think about this. If the GPU can only handle one polygon, even it can display at 4K or 8K, it's nothing more than a single polygon, no beautiful graphics available. The same is true for rendering resolution. If the GPU can only rendering at 720 or 480, even thought the display resolution is 4K, the graphics will still bad.

There is actually a very classic example. Ninja Gaiden.

This game was introduced back in the original Xbox (the one that before the 360). It's cutscene was rendered at 480P. So now, even with 4K TV, the xbox one can still display this 480P rendered graphic via 4K display resolution. End up nothing improved.

But the in game graphics now actually rendered at 4K, even only can display at 1080P, The graphic will still much much better than the original version.

In fact, this technique has been used in PC gaming quite a while already. It's carded Dynamic Super Resolution. The GPU will render the graphic at 2x or even 4x the resolution that the monitor can handle. It will product much better (smoother) graphics at the end even though with identical display resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.