Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Im running 10.3.4 on my powerbook and i couldn't be happier. When Tiger eventually comes out, do i really need to upgrade to it? Im quite happy with panther but it'd like to keep up to date with things. Will an upgrade option be available or do you have to start from scratch with a fresh install of 10.4?

Thanks

nifty_nigel10

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
i remember seeing a post like this before but as far as im aware u have to start from scratch, although it wud b cool to get it thru software update!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you dont have to upgrade, if you want to keep Panther, then go for it, there are still Jaguar users out there, and even lower ive heard - there is nothing that says that you have to upgrade, its purely your decision

you do not have to do a full harddrive wipe of your system when you go to upgrade, although it is recommended by some people

so when you eventuly decide between the two and if you choose tiger you will have an option to upgrade or start from scratch, totally up to you

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
in the developer's version that's already out, you have to wipe the drive clean...
however, when the final version comes out, you will almost definitely be able to archive and install, upgrade, and clean install...
apple's not stupid; they know people don't want to lose all their information...
(but most people recommend backing up and doing the clean install)

reality

nifty_nigel10

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
oh rite, sorry, i read the question wrong!! but there is a choice to choose if u want to upgrade or start with wiping ur harddrive clean

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
When you do upgrade to Tiger, just backup your files, do a clean install with Tiger and use your Application Update CD that came with your Powerbook to install the additional programs and OS 9 addon that are not included with the the new OS.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
EGT said:
Im running 10.3.4 on my powerbook and i couldn't be happier. When Tiger eventually comes out, do i really need to upgrade to it? Im quite happy with panther but it'd like to keep up to date with things. Will an upgrade option be available or do you have to start from scratch with a fresh install of 10.4?

Thanks

If history is any indication, you'll be able to buy the Tiger retail, and Archive and Install over the existing installation keeping your user data files, third party applications which were installed and network preferences. Both 10.2 and 10.3 offered this ability through this article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Hopefully Apple keeps this installation method available in 10.4.

But it is highly recommended you backup all essential data prior to doing any system upgrade. A system upgrade is much like changing the gas used by a car. If you don't backup and something goes wrong during the installation you may lose access to your data.

Also turn off any third party haxies or modifications to the menubar and dock, as well as disconnect all third party peripherals prior to installation to make sure it runs smoothly. This has been a requirement in the past. Be sure to put Apple applications back in the Applications folder if you have moved them, as otherwise they won't get updated.

Just for everyone's info, there is no such thing as a clean install with Mac OS X. The closest you have to a Windows clean install is an erase and install. To a Mac OS 9 clean install you have an Archive and Install. People calling it clean install on Mac OS X don't know what they are talking about since Apple has basically done away with the Clean Install terminology in its installers.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
If I decide to get Tiger next year, I guess I'll be investing in a firewire HD after all...

What should I backup before doing the erase 'n install (clean install)?

I figger--

-Applications Folder
-My Home Folder

And uh...shouldn't that be it?

Or wait, shouldn't I just backup the stuff in the Applications folder that I added myself? What about stuff like Appleworks?

You know, maybe it's not worth going to 10.4 after all... :confused:

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
neoelectronaut said:
If I decide to get Tiger next year, I guess I'll be investing in a firewire HD after all...

What should I backup before doing the erase 'n install (clean install)?

I figger--

-Applications Folder
-My Home Folder

And uh...shouldn't that be it?

Or wait, shouldn't I just backup the stuff in the Applications folder that I added myself? What about stuff like Appleworks?

You know, maybe it's not worth going to 10.4 after all... :confused:

Wait one bloody second. Read the post I put in prior to your post. First off, history suggests an erase and install will NOT be necessary. Let's wait till Apple actually releases 10.4 before writing it off.

I would get an external firewire hard disk in any case, and preferably two, or at least back all of your installed applications and User data to CDs. It is always wise to have at least two backups. Especially after the Firewire bug:

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug.html

which still hasn't been resolved completely. So make sure your Firewire hard drive is not impacted by the bug by getting one with an Initio chipset.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
ibook_g4_user said:
Clean installs are much faster than regulars

They sure are fast! In an effort to get all the rubbish off my computer, I formatted and reinstalled Panther yesterday. It's the first time I've ever done it, and I was amazed that it only took 6 minutes, compared to the 45 or so needed for Windows. Furthermore, I didn't need to go driver hunting :)

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2002
London
ibook_g4_user said:
Clean installs are much faster than regulars

That as may be...but the comment that I was responding to was that you COULDN'T install Tiger on to Panther...which you can :D

EGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
I think i'm just going to do a clean install of tiger to keep everything smooth. Just back up everything. Tiger looks good!! :cool:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
question fear said:
can you install a new OS over an external firewire cd drive or is it necessary to have a working internal one? (900mhz g3 ibook).
You sure can, as long as you can get the Mac to boot off of that drive (which Mac OS X supports - booting from FireWire devices, that is). I am going to wipe my drive clean when I install 10.4, simply because that's what I prefer doing :eek:

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
EGT said:
I think i'm just going to do a clean install of tiger to keep everything smooth. Just back up everything. Tiger looks good!! :cool:

Don't feel pressured; I did an upgrade to Panther and everything was smooth as can be.

However, if you want a clean start, I recommend you do an "Archive and Install." Apple's creation of this is genius, if you ask me.

Basically, the install disk will take everything you have, compress it, and set it aside. Then it will do a clean install, giving you a clean hard drive, but preserving the archive! It's the best of both worlds!

The other good option would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup EVERYTHING on your disk (that's what CCC is for) to an external HD. Then do a clean install.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
titaniumducky said:
<snip>
The other good option would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup EVERYTHING on your disk (that's what CCC is for) to an external HD. Then do a clean install.
That's EXACTLY what I am planning on doing upon Tiger's release. In fact, I have my computer set up to back itself up daily at 3:00 AM ET, so I don't have to worry. (My PC doesn't have an automated backup - but its hard drive is 2.5x as big as my iMac's...so I couldn't back up to my Mac anyway.)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I too would suggest that your best course of action is to do an Archive & Install of Tiger. A straight "Upgrade" (pressing the Upgrade button) is probably not going to work quite right. This was a problem with Jaguar -> Panther Upgrade. I've no confidence that it'll get straightened out with Tiger.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Wait a sec... I'm sort of confused about this "archive and install" thing.

I'm also planning on upgrading my 17 PB from Panther to Tiger, maybe around November-ish. I have some essays and stuff that I'd like to keep, and make accessible under Tiger.

Will "archive and install" save ALL the stuff saved on my HD, and be avalible to see/use/edit on Tiger, after the upgrade? Is it relatively safe to use?

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
diehldun said:

I'm also planning on upgrading my 17 PB from Panther to Tiger, maybe around November-ish. I have some essays and stuff that I'd like to keep, and make accessible under Tiger.

Will "archive and install" save ALL the stuff saved on my HD, and be avalible to see/use/edit on Tiger, after the upgrade? Is it relatively safe to use?

I assume you mean November, 2005? It's not coming out this year... ;)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
diehldun said:

If it's anything like Archive & Install in Jaguar & Panther it will.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
diehldun said:

Read the Archive and Install knowledgebase, and you'll learn more about it than you need to know:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.