Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
I've been using iPhone XR since 2019. Before that I used iPhone 6. I like the big screen and Face ID on the XR, but I've never liked its size. It still feels heavy and bulky in daily use. I don't consume much media on my phone, I mainly use it for messaging, email, searching information on web. Pretty light use. It would be nice to hear your experiences what it's like to switch to SE from a bigger phone and get used to Touch ID again. Also battery life concerns me. Thanks in advance.

Jack_SB

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2020
I’m getting mixed feelings here..
You like good battery life, Face ID, big screen but you don’t like the size?
And the alternative to that is an SE instead of let’s say an iPhone 13 mini?

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
I've been using iPhone XR since 2019. Before that I used iPhone 6. I like the big screen and Face ID on the XR, but I've never liked its size. It still feels heavy and bulky in daily use. I don't consume much media on my phone, I mainly use it for messaging, email, searching information on web. Pretty light use. It would be nice to hear your experiences what it's like to switch to SE from a bigger phone and get used to Touch ID again. Also battery life concerns me. Thanks in advance.

Using SE 2020 since day 1 on my country. Move from X.
Light use, battery life better than X.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Maybe the 12 or 13 mini or maybe even the 11 Pro (5.8" screen). Might be able to find the 12 mini and 11 pro on Apples refurbished site for a deal.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I've been using iPhone XR since 2019. Before that I used iPhone 6. I like the big screen and Face ID on the XR, but I've never liked its size. It still feels heavy and bulky in daily use.

If you like a big screen and Face ID, it sounds like a 12 mini or 13 mini would be a better choice than an SE. The minis have Face ID and a larger screen than the SE yet the overall size of the device is smaller.

Through Apple, you can get a new 13 mini starting at $629 or a refurbished 12 mini (when available) starting at $439.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I switched from a 13 pro to a 2022 SE. I prefer the LED screen and the smaller size of the SE. I miss the cameras and MagSafe charging. TouchID and FaceID are both fine.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I switched from a 13 pro to a 2022 SE. I prefer the LED screen and the smaller size of the SE. I miss the cameras and MagSafe charging. TouchID and FaceID are both fine.

I am considering the same move, due to preferring a smaller phone, the lcd screen, snd touchID.

Any regrets at all with the move you made?

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I am considering the same move, due to preferring a smaller phone, the lcd screen, snd touchID.

Any regrets at all with the move you made?
Not really. I wish the SE came in 1Tb capacity. I miss being able to have my entire music library downloaded to my phone since both Wi-Fi and cell reception at my office are terrible.

Reactions: jm31828

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Not really. I wish the SE came in 1Tb capacity. I miss being able to have my entire music library downloaded to my phone since both Wi-Fi and cell reception at my office are terrible.

Out of curiosity, what is it that draws you to the LCD screen of the SE vs. the OLED in the others? Are you sensitive to the PWM flicker, or is it more of a preference thing in how the displays look?

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I would go for the 13 mini at least, or the regular 12 (its smaller and lighter than the XR with the same display size) the SE is just a fossil at this point, you're better off even getting some $200 android.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Out of curiosity, what is it that draws you to the LCD screen of the SE vs. the OLED in the others? Are you sensitive to the PWM flicker, or is it more of a preference thing in how the displays look?
Yes, the flickering of the OLED screens bothers me. The 13 series is the best so far (I think they’re 480 Hz PWM) but still gives me eye strain. LCD screens are fine.

Reactions: jm31828

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I would go for the 13 mini at least, or the regular 12 (its smaller and lighter than the XR with the same display size) the SE is just a fossil at this point, you're better off even getting some $200 android.
I think of the SE as the Toyota Camry of iPhones. It’s proven, it works, it’s cheap, and it should last a long time.

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I think of the SE as the Toyota Camry of iPhones. It’s proven, it works, it’s cheap, and it should last a long time.
So much this. I've been using the 2020 SE since day one and it gets the job done.

I'm usually on an every three years schedule for upgrades, so coming up on that time of year. I like the 13 Mini for size and FaceID, but feel it's overpriced for what I use/need in a phone: big markup for FaceID as OLED not important nor the better camera.

Now that I'm off the September refresh cycle, have flexibility to see if a new 2023 SE, or maybe get a 13 Mini, or wait until after the initial September upgrade rush to see if iOS 17 runs fine on the phone (guessing will as processors in the phones are more than adequate [for me] these days) and how that battery is holding up (and maybe just get a new battery). $800 minimum for a new phone is pretty steep for an iPod/organizer that makes calls and primarily sits in my pocket or on the desk next to me these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.