Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aesth3tic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
University of Washington
Hey everyone,

what do you think is a reasonable amount to sell this for on the streets:

PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz 512MB 80GB HDD SD APX
w/ screen protector, second skin, original packaging
purchased in january 2005, perfect condition (no scratching / discolouring) but there is a small dent on the back of the machine (really really small).

also, i was thinking of getting my next machine by taking a trip to oregon (take advantage of no tax). do you think that i will still be able to use my student discount from my home state there (washington).

thanks!!!!

longmanzz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2005
dude, I m in UW, i m in interested in buying it, tell me what u want

according to the experience at UW bookstore, u probably can't get discount at any stores other than ur school's. Maybe u can have apple.com ship to an address at oregon, still tax free

aesth3tic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
University of Washington
longmanzz said:
dude, I m in UW, i m in interested in buying it, tell me what u want

according to the experience at UW bookstore, u probably can't get discount at any stores other than ur school's. Maybe u can have apple.com ship to an address at oregon, still tax free

I go to UW also. What major/year are you?

I'm looking to possibly sell it for around 1600.00 I might sell it with upgraded ram (768 - 1280mb, but it depends on how much i order for my next PB). 1600.00 is kinda a lot if you are already a student b/c the student discount is cheaper, but i can sell my laptop with all the software i have for it (candybar, toast 6, virex) which might make up for the higher price {plus i was stupid and ordered it w/o the discount}.

If you are interested, IM me.

late

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
aesth3tic said:
I go to UW also. What major/year are you?

I'm looking to possibly sell it for around 1600.00 I might sell it with upgraded ram (768 - 1280mb, but it depends on how much i order for my next PB). 1600.00 is kinda a lot if you are already a student b/c the student discount is cheaper, but i can sell my laptop with all the software i have for it (adobe cs, iwork, candybar, ms office 2004, powercadd 6 (drafting s/w), toast 6, virex) which might make up for the higher price {plus i was stupid and ordered it w/o the discount}.

If you are interested, IM me.

late

Well $1600 is a bit high of a price for 12'' PB, seeing as how you can get a refurb one from apple for $1449. Also, unless your planning on selling the user licenses, and CD's with all of that great software, its considered warez, (which is not allowed on the forums) and thus is not considered to add any value to you computer sale.

If you are serious about selling the PB, I would suggest lowering the price, and/or editing the description to include which software you are legally selling. If its not legal, then I would remove it.

aesth3tic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
University of Washington
agreed

Koodauw said:
Well $1600 is a bit high of a price for 12'' PB, seeing as how you can get a refurb one from apple for $1449. Also, unless your planning on selling the user licenses, and CD's with all of that great software, its considered warez, (which is not allowed on the forums) and thus is not considered to add any value to you computer sale.

If you are serious about selling the PB, I would suggest lowering the price, and/or editing the description to include which software you are legally selling. If its not legal, then I would remove it.

thanks for the info about the warez. i deleted all the non licensed stuff. I was thinking of 1600, but not sure what would be reasonable, hence the post.

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.