Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I wonder how much the gold itself is worth.

Apple's site says the 42mm case weighs in at 69g. I don't know if thats just the metal or the entire watch including the sapphire cover, ceramic back and the innards.

Assuming the weight is entirely gold, at today's gold price of ~$1220/oz troy, the 18k gold is worth about $2,030. The value is obviously less if part of the weight listed online belongs to non-gold bits.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
How much is the gold on that watch worth? Probably insignificant relatively speaking.

Is that the value Apple has set for the edition and are they well within their right to set any price they want? Probably yes.

The question is, is the gold one worth the $10k to YOU?

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Actually, the purchase is an investment towards something and will probably return me two-fold.

When I saw the gold watch, I honestly thought no-one other than Arab millionaires would be interested in buying one.

If it's worth $10k to you, that's the main thing. Hope it's what you want it to be.

Peppery

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Auckland, New Zealand
When I saw the gold watch, I honestly thought no-one other than Arab millionaires would be interested in buying one.

If it's worth $10k to you, that's the main thing. Hope it's what you want it to be.

In case you're wondering why he's calling it an investment - OP has a popular youtube channel where he destroys gadgets and garners millions of views (look in his history if you're after a link). The investment is on how much a video destroying the Edition will earn... More power to him. :rolleyes:

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
In case you're wondering why he's calling it an investment - OP has a popular youtube channel where he destroys gadgets and garners millions of views (look in his history if you're after a link). The investment is on how much a video destroying the Edition will earn... More power to him. :rolleyes:

I have a name for those people but the mods would get onto me....here's a hint though: D.A.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia

Oh, it's TechRax!

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
People really want to watch people destroy pricey retail stuff to the tune of over 17k back in click revenue?

The Internet really does bring out the drooling idiot in some people.

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Jeeves the butler is delivering

Nuh' uh! Jony Ive is driving around in all of those vehicles we keep seeing rented and the stuff on top is actually a safe for the edition. Other than flight capabilities; which it has, Apple went for a much more subtle approach. Thus, a red carpet will deploy from the stainless stell side skirts because it is a beautiful metal. This red carpet is made of the same leather used on the 38mm Red Modern buckle. You will then sit; and as if being crowned king, and the box will be placed on your head. Spoiler alert.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.