Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evapor8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2003
A little bit of everywhere
Ok, so I hardly consider what I'm gonna do "breaking down". But I do believe it's outside what I might otherwise do w/ the "information" I have. I just received my paycheck which gives me enough money to finally get my powerbook. I was hoping that the new 15" would be out, but hey, I could be waiting for the next bigger and better for the rest of my life. I think I should just enjoy what I can get when I can get it. I'll just upgrade as I go. This is my first mac anyway, so I'll officially be a switcher. haha. Anyways, this is getting long, as I'm super stoked about this purchase, but my question is this, if I buy my computer at an apple store (Houston Galleria Mall) will they be able to switch my RAM there? I want one 512 chip so I can upgrade to 1GB myself. I know that it is more expensive, but I'd rather do that than have to buy two 512 MB myself. Also, will all the same deals apply at the physical store as they do online? i.e. Education discount, rebates and what not? Thanks for all your help. I'm pretty confident that when I get the Tibook, that new 15" Albook can come out for the rest of ya. haha. Ok, I'm done now.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
If you goto an official apple store the rebates and special promos and edu pricing still works but only at offical apple stores. I"m not sure I understand your ram question so i'll let someone else field that one. If your thinking about the ipod promo tho, no one is sure that 15" pbooks will be out before the promotion ends.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
to address the RAM issue, yes, you can have them take out the 256 stick and give you one 512. it will cost you the same amount extra as it does on the apple site, and i am 99% sure they do it at the store. the sales guy at the apple store in memphis offered to do it a for my friend's new iBook. so, no worries. congratulations, though i really would wait till next tuesday before i bought the thing if i were you.

evapor8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2003
I'm glad you understand the RAM question, i didn't really type it out all the clearly. Actually, now that I read that last post, there wasn't alot of cohesiveness to it at all. It's good to hear that the Apple Store will switch the 256 to a 512 for me. Now that the shock of actually, finally, getting enough money after a year and a half of saving and waiting, I will wait another week, just to see what pans out.
Thanks.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by evapor8
I'm glad you understand the RAM question, i didn't really type it out all the clearly. Actually, now that I read that last post, there wasn't alot of cohesiveness to it at all. It's good to hear that the Apple Store will switch the 256 to a 512 for me. Now that the shock of actually, finally, getting enough money after a year and a half of saving and waiting, I will wait another week, just to see what pans out.
Thanks.
glad to hear you can wait just a little bit longer, but i have to say that your post was perfectly cohesive to me on the first reading. i understood exactly what you meant, because it's about the same train of thought i went through almost 10 months ago when they announced the GHz tibook and i was going to get one. i was able to get the RAM maxed by apple, though, luckily, but for awhile before i got it i was considering just what you suggest--getting the 512 stick so i can buy another later... luckily, at the time apple had that "double your RAM for $40" thing going, so i went for that :D

but again, don't kick yourself, it makes perfect sense to the people who are in a position to help you ;)

evapor8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks again for the help. Now I guess all that is left is to sit around and wait again. haha. I'm getting quiet good at it actually. I swear, there are times when I think I must be masochistic. I get myself all worked up, and then hold back. Hopefully it will be worth it, if not, well, I guess I just learned something new about myself. Also, this is just another part of my RAM question, but I thought I saw on here the other day, that someone found RAM for the Tibook for $110 on Crucial. When I looked it up, I saw it for $139...Does anyone have confirmation on either number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.