Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Like many on here, I have had two Apple IDs for years. Apple ID #1 is for my iCloud services and Apple ID #2 is for my App Store, iTunes Store, Books Store, etc digital purchases.

My plan is to migrate all my iCloud services from Apple ID #1 (email, bookmarks, iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive, notes, Apple Pay cards, contacts, etc) over to Apple ID #2 (because you can't move media and app purchases from one Apple ID to another).

I found this great article by someone who has manually merged two Apple IDs and it's very helpful. But I was wondering if anyone here had any advice (if you've gone through the process yourself). I'm just paranoid about losing my data.

Any advice/tips/help is appreciated!

EDIT: I gave up.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PhoenixDown

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Thanks for sharing that article. I also want to do this. Haven’t had the nerve yet, mostly due to family with 6 of us and Home devices/setup. Wish I had some advice to give.

Reactions: SW3029

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA
This is the craziest, most ambitious undertaking I've happened across in the last 15 years. Success in this endeavour is more difficult (in my mind) than Musks Mission to Mars..

HOWEVER!! this is now the thread I will monitor most closely because I care about the solution more than anything. I've contemplated legal action as a means to accomplish a merge. PLEASE KEEP US UP TO DATE WITH YOUR PROGRESS!!

Reactions: TonyC28

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Like many on here, I have had two Apple IDs for years. Apple ID #1 is for my iCloud services and Apple ID #2 is for my App Store, iTunes Store, Books Store, etc digital purchases.

My plan is to migrate all my iCloud services from Apple ID #1 (email, bookmarks, iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive, notes, Apple Pay cards, contacts, etc) over to Apple ID #2 (because you can't move media and app purchases from one Apple ID to another).

I found this great article by someone who has manually merged two Apple IDs and it's very helpful. But I was wondering if anyone here had any advice (if you've gone through the process yourself). I'm just paranoid about losing my data.

Any advice/tips/help is appreciated!
Wow, that article described a Herculean task. Did you (your data) survive?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I think people keep waiting thinking, it’s gonna get easier. Well, nope - so far it’s just getting HARDER and I don’t see an end in site. I helped my sister do this 3 or 4 years ago and in hindsight, as tricky as it was it’s a good thing we did it then rather than waiting until she had Apple Card, and HomeKit stuff, and even MORE photos/videos, etc.

Reactions: TonyC28

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
All I care about is the purchases in the App Store. How can I enable them in another Apple ID? Family Sharing does not work across Accounts owned by a single person. Anyone done that?

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
All I care about is the purchases in the App Store. How can I enable them in another Apple ID? Family Sharing does not work across Accounts owned by a single person. Anyone done that?

Works for me. How could it tell two accounts were the same person? You just have to make sure sharing is enabled in the relevant account.

But iOS also gives you the option of different accounts for iCloud data and media/app purchases.

rInnCWt.jpg

Last edited:

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I have a very similar situation. One ID for iTunes/App store, one for iCloud (which subscribes to Apple One). 90ish percent of it works shared to 5 family members.

Biggest question/issue we've run into is with Apple Music. Even though Apple Music shared from the main family account to the other icloud family accounts, each user when trying to sign in with that shared account id, Apple Music is showing they need a subscription. If we sign in to AM with the Family Account ID, it works, but it syncs that account's playlists. Is there a way to have each Apple ID that is 'family shared access' to have their own playlists and sync'ing?

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I have a very similar situation. One ID for iTunes/App store, one for iCloud (which subscribes to Apple One). 90ish percent of it works shared to 5 family members.

Biggest question/issue we've run into is with Apple Music. Even though Apple Music shared from the main family account to the other icloud family accounts, each user when trying to sign in with that shared account id, Apple Music is showing they need a subscription. If we sign in to AM with the Family Account ID, it works, but it syncs that account's playlists. Is there a way to have each Apple ID that is 'family shared access' to have their own playlists and sync'ing?

If you have a family plan they should be able to use their own IDs. If it's an individual plan you're stuck with that account's library.

It's a little confusing as some Apple services are shareable and others require family plans.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
If you have a family plan they should be able to use their own IDs. If it's an individual plan you're stuck with that account's library.

It's a little confusing as some Apple services are shareable and others require family plans.
Thanks for the reply….went and triple checked. My plan is the Apple One Premium option. That should work, correct?

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
Thanks for the reply….went and triple checked. My plan is the Apple One Premium option. That should work, correct?

Yes, just make sure all users are signed in with their own IDs, are part of the same family, and that "share with family" is enabled on the account with the subscription (under Settings>Apple ID>Subscriptions).

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Yes, just make sure all users are signed in with their own IDs, are part of the same family, and that "share with family" is enabled on the account with the subscription (under Settings>Apple ID>Subscriptions).
Again, thanks so much for the reply. I've meticulously gone through this exercise before. And done some searching on the issue.

Triple checking again.....none of this needed to be changed.

1. They are signed into iCloud with their own account.
2. They are part of the same family (I can see them in the family section of MY account).
3. Share with family is enabled (on my account).
4. I can see, in their account subscriptions, that they have access to the Apple One Premier services, including Apple Music.

Everything with the Apple One Premier access appears to be shared/working as expected....except AM process. They have their own backups on the 2T of storage, the other Apple One Premier access works (like Arcade access, access to Apple TV, Apple Fitness, etc....). App subscriptions are also working across multiple accounts.

More suggestions of how/where to look are sincerely appreciated!

Maybe it's time to visit an Apple store as well with my device and wifey's device to get to the bottom of this.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
Maybe it's time to visit an Apple store as well with my device and wifey's device to get to the bottom of this.

Yep, sounds like you've done all you can. Apple Music has been known for its flakiness. Best of luck with it all! :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.