Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinitedreams

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2017
I've been running some Geekbench tests recently on my SE running 11.2.2 and the benchmark scores are very low.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6325719

I tried checking the battery using Coconut Battery and Apple Support chat and the battery seems to be working fine. I've had my SE since March 2017.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 4.26.44 PM.png

Ran a 3DMark and the results were also lower than expected.

kAN8bhKcBA3E-MMCbO-dfRlC6sHo4AAWUwuwyb4uwpM.jpg

Since I've been using it since iOS 10.2 all the way to 11.2.2 I decided to do a wipe and restore from iCloud. While it gave me some gigabytes back the performance is still the same.

I also have the 2017 iPad with the same CPU and has way more apps than my phone and it's a bit faster in app launches.

So am I experiencing the battery throttle or is iOS 11.2.2 affecting performance on some devices?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Does 11.2.2 include the Meltdown/Spectre patch?

(I've forgotten which update covers what)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I'm going with the fixes for Meltdown and Spectre. As Intel and others have been pointing out, more intense workloads will cause greater slowdowns. And hammering the processor with benchmarks is just the type of thing to experience big slowdown.

Does your phone "seem" slow while using it?

This. If phone is working well, who cares what the benchmarks state, especially in light of the Meltdown/Spectre patching code. Benchmarks are pretty meaningless now, until the CPU designers come up with new silicon that does not have these issues (1-2 years out?).

Reactions: Newtons Apple

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Until Apple releases more information in the next few months, it's difficult to say.

I get the feeling throttling is not a binary event. Throttling seems to occur at different thresholds depending on battery health.

With your battery at 346/500 cycles, I would suspect light throttling is happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.