Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotics5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Hi All,

I have had my iPad for about 3 years now and have gone through 3 horrifying styluses:

1) The first one was a rubber tip. Although I could write really well and smoothly, the tip was easily torn.
2) The second one had a metal mesh tip. This worked well but the problem was that I needed to apply a lot of pressure to write on my iPad. Why? Because the body of the stylus was aluminum, meaning that the electrical current from my fingers needed to pass through the metal body to be able to register on the iPad. In short, this stylus was durable but was hard to register on screen.
3) I spent a lot of money on one of those disc-end-shaped styluses but the end kept breaking. End of story.

Do any of you recommend a good stylus, one with a metal mesh tip but without a metal body, so that it is easier for the stylus to register on screen? Or are there good metal mesh tipped-styluses that register nicely, without pressure?

Thank you all!

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Hi All,

I have had my iPad for about 3 years now and have gone through 3 horrifying styluses:

1) The first one was a rubber tip. Although I could write really well and smoothly, the tip was easily torn.
2) The second one had a metal mesh tip. This worked well but the problem was that I needed to apply a lot of pressure to write on my iPad. Why? Because the body of the stylus was aluminum, meaning that the electrical current from my fingers needed to pass through the metal body to be able to register on the iPad. In short, this stylus was durable but was hard to register on screen.
3) I spent a lot of money on one of those disc-end-shaped styluses but the end kept breaking. End of story.

Do any of you recommend a good stylus, one with a metal mesh tip but without a metal body, so that it is easier for the stylus to register on screen? Or are there good metal mesh tipped-styluses that register nicely, without pressure?

Thank you all!

The top 2 pens for iPad are

Maglus Stylus

Maglus%20Aluminum%20Magnetic%20iPad%202%20Stylus.png

And the Wacom Bamboo

2645-1062014185914.jpg

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It sounds like you might need to handle them a little better too. ;) My brother broke the nib on my Bamboo, so I know how that goes, I'm a little surprised you broke the discs though. They're not actual pens or pencils, so don't put too much force in them. Approach them as if you were using a small paintbrush.

The rubber nibs are the better choices. If you go with the more known ones, you'll always be able to get replacement ones fairly cheap. They are also pretty much the only bit of the stylus that matters, you just have to decide which body works best for you. Bamboo makes both soft and firm ones, but I think the newer version of the standard Bamboo is a little different than the first.

iChe

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
France
I also like the Adonit products. Here is my most recent review, a comparison between the Adonit Jot Script and the new Adonit Jot Touch with Pixelpoint.

If you're interested in the TrueGlide Apex or Rechargeable Apex, who are also good products, know that I will a review about these in a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.