Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Hi,

I am trying to find a place to get software for my 512k. I want to get some system disks so I can boot it, and possibly some programs. I have tried to download the software and make disks, but I have failed to get it to boot.

My SE is the closest thing to the 512k but the 512 will not boot off of disks I create from the SE.

Anybody have some good places to look? The last two times I bought Floppy disk software from Ebay, the disks came damaged (shipping?)

geoffbarrall

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2005
San Jose
Same Problem

I have the same problem as you. I've brought an old 512K Mac from eBay and it has some good software with it but no way to move data to or from it. I need to find somebody who has either the early Appleshare software or a terminal application like zTerm. Let me know if you find anything. I've got system disks and basic software I'd be happy to let you have if you can supply the disks.

geoffbarrall

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2005
San Jose
Chicken and Egg

The problem I still have is some way to make the images into a disk. The 400MB and 800MB disks I use with the 512K don't work in either my G5 or PC and so I need some way to move files to the 512K. I could do that with a serial cable if I head a terminal package on a 800MB disk but I don't right now. Not sure if you have any ideas on how I could resolve that? Any help much appreciated.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Sorry didn't full understand your problem. I found the best way to get around this issue is to use an intermediate Mac between the G5 and the 512k (it's a Mac Plus in my case). My Powerbooks 1400 & 3400 happily work on my wireless network, but will write 800k disks that work on the Mac Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.