Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hello all....!

Just wanting to hear real world recommendations about this issue. Friend of me, teacher of 100 or so students have a project where every student stores home work in SD cards (mini or full size). Her computer dies suddenly to no avail. So I voluntered to get the info out from the cards. But still dont make my mind for a good reader/adapter capable of take in mini and full sized SD cards. Work will be done in my Mac Pro.

No problem with the format of the cards itself, because I have Paragon NTFS installed.

So please, weigh in with opinions/pointers/suggestions.

Thanks in advance....!

:):apple:

Last edited:

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hi,

Check ebay or amazon for USB SD Reader adapters.. I have one and they work rather well.. and can accept up to 64GB MicroSD and standard SD cards.

Hello all....!

Just wanting to hear real world recommendations about this issue. Friend of me, teacher of 100 or so students have a project where every student stores home work in SD cards (mini or full size). Her computer dies suddenly to no avail. So I voluntered to get the info out from the cards. But still dont make my mind for a good reader/adapter capable of take in mini and full sized SD cards. Work will be done in my Mac Pro.

No problem with the format of the cards itself, because I have Paragon NTFS installed.

So please, weigh in with opinions/pointers/suggestions.

Thanks in advance....!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Will do right now....!

Hi,

Check ebay or amazon for USB SD Reader adapters.. I have one and they work rather well.. and can accept up to 64GB MicroSD and standard SD cards.

Hey PowerPCMacMan, greetings...! Thanks for the pointer. Will do right now..!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Out of luck.....

and out of stock in Newegg....:eek::(:eek:

Seems to me cheap enough, tough. But want to read another suggestions...:D

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I would specifically check out that the reader supports SDXC. Older models may still be selling, but won't support 32 or 64GB chips or better.

I just bought a new reader since the old reader I used with my Pro didn't support the new SD cards I bought for my camera (though my 2010 MBP could).

I also went with a USB 3.0 version in the hope that, if they updated the chips for USB 3, they were more likely to make other internal improvements.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Thanks for the info....

I would specifically check out that the reader supports SDXC. Older models may still be selling, but won't support 32 or 64GB chips or better.

I just bought a new reader since the old reader I used with my Pro didn't support the new SD cards I bought for my camera (though my 2010 MBP could).

I also went with a USB 3.0 version in the hope that, if they updated the chips for USB 3, they were more likely to make other internal improvements.

Thanks kevink2 for the suggestion to check SDXC support. My friend and I talked about her problem. Cant get her into buying the reader suggested by Tesselator, that seems to me with good speed. My friend bought the SanDisk reader and we have now in the recovery and archiving part of the work.

Will report back with our experiences. And for marking the thread as resolved (I hope....!):D

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Thanks kevink2 for the suggestion to check SDXC support. My friend and I talked about her problem. Cant get her into buying the reader suggested by Tesselator, that seems to me with good speed. My friend bought the SanDisk reader and we have now in the recovery and archiving part of the work.

Will report back with our experiences. And for marking the thread as resolved (I hope....!):D

Do a speed test when ya get whichever you choose and post the results up here. :)

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Well....

Do a speed test when ya get whichever you choose and post the results up here. :)

benchmarks come, not BlackMagic or something fancy....Because we were just copying folders from the memory cards, I am not expecting my results are typical. One anoyannce was the fact the copy speed was lower reading from a full SD card, instead of a mini SD. And then, the alumns of my friend use a very wide collection of brands, from cheap chinese to SanDisk....:confused:

Results:

Copy (mini SD): 10.5-12.5 MB/s
Copy (full SD): 9.0-11.5 MB/s

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
benchmarks come, not BlackMagic or something fancy....Because we were just copying folders from the memory cards, I am not expecting my results are typical. One anoyannce was the fact the copy speed was lower reading from a full SD card, instead of a mini SD. And then, the alumns of my friend use a very wide collection of brands, from cheap chinese to SanDisk....:confused:

Results:

Copy (mini SD): 10.5-12.5 MB/s
Copy (full SD): 9.0-11.5 MB/s

That's about what I get from my cameras directly connected to the MacPro native USB port. GH2 transfers at about 12 to 15MB/s for RAW stills and 15 to 20MB/s for larger video files. That's from 32GB SDHC Class(10) cards. I suppose I could get better times with SDXC cards but I haven't timed any yet. And I dunno what microSD cards are like either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.