Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
I'm in the process of reorganising my home network. I want the server (G4 400) to run OS X, and I want to be able to print from any computer connected to it, that's OS X, OS 9 and Windows.

The first thing I need to know is if it's possible. The second is how, and the third is what kind of printer would you suggest?

I don't want to spend too much. It's mainly used for B&W, but it needs to do reasonable quality colour, nothing special though.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
The best for networking is a n HP Laser printer.

These won't do colour but have Ethernet built in and work very reliably.They cost $800.00-$1200.00 depending on the model. An ethernet inkjet HP will cost you in the $400.00 range. An Airport kit is available for HP printers. I used to recommend Epson but their OS X support is basically nonexistant. Canon is cheap(nuf said).Lexmark is a bit odd in the setup but works well once you figure it out.

I would recommend lokking up network compatible printers that work with OS X on Apple's website and going from there. The biggest challenge will be finding a single Ethernet-equipped printer that all 3 OS's support.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
So would it be a lot cheaper to buy a printer the would just handle OS X and OS 9? Is that what that "USB printer sharing" thing does?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Oh yeah, I think that USB printer sharing thing is in OS 9...

Hmm, if it does what I want it to do (see above post), is there an X equivalent?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Nope.

USB printer sharing doesn't work in either X or Classic. It's rather un-reliable too. At least this is my experience with the Epson version...........

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Epson

I contacted Epson last week about making my C80 into a networked printer. You can get their external print server, put it onto an ethernet network and use it between Mac's and peecee's. I got confirmation that you can get to it from OS X, but you might need to use either OS 9.x or a peecee to configure it first. Their C80WN has native support for OS X, but it is an wireless network only printer. It works with both Apple's base stations as well as other parties wireless routers (or you can go right to it from your airport equipped Mac). The only drawback I see on the C80WN is that you cannot plug it into a LAN. That is the feature I want as well. To be able to connect from either a wireless networked system or a wired system. At least, until the wireless is up to the same speed as the LAN is (100Mb).

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I'm not sure how much they cost, but a customer of mine has 3 Xerox color laser printers attached to their network that has OS 9, OS X and Windows clients.

They're fast, the output is beautiful and there is some sort of agreement with Xerox where there is a free lifetime supply of black ink (yes they call it ink because it is solid and not powdered like toner). I don't know if it is a service agreement or just a normal part of purchasing the printer.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by gbojim
I'm not sure how much they cost, but a customer of mine has 3 Xerox color laser printers attached to their network that has OS 9, OS X and Windows clients.

They're fast, the output is beautiful and there is some sort of agreement with Xerox where there is a free lifetime supply of black ink (yes they call it ink because it is solid and not powdered like toner). I don't know if it is a service agreement or just a normal part of purchasing the printer.

Depending on what size paper they use, they run in the thousands each.

The Epson C80N or C80WN versions are $329 and $449 respectively. I have the C80 and the output is actually better then many color laser printers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.