Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2023
Hi,

I’m currently using a 2015 MacBook Pro that has been a very reliable performer for me. On this Mac I’ve had several games from Good OldGames installed - classics like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Age of Empires, etc.

I’m now considering finally upgrading my current computer to a 15” Air. But what about the games? I’m not looking to play newer games with fancy graphics, I just want to play yet another round of HOMM3 and the like.

Will the Apple silicon support this via Wine? Do I need to look at a visualization solution such a VMWare or CrossOver?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Best regards
Christian

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
DOSBox runs great on Apple Silicon, and I find that it'll play any vintage game I throw at it.

CTHx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2023
ok, thanks. But HOMM3 is a Windows game, not DOS, I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
DOSBox runs great on Apple Silicon, and I find that it'll play any vintage game I throw at it.

Not to mention games on GOG automatically run through DOSBox without any configuration required. It's pretty incredible I can play Jazz Jackrabbit on my M1 Pro Macbook Pro even after all the efforts Apple's done to try to kill any legacy software

Reactions: MacsRgr8 and dmr727
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.