Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I feel like this needs its own thread, because it's come up numerous times, especially here in the Community section. I also hope this will not devolve into ridiculous argument.

There are a lot of people on social media who simply do not know how to behave properly, or use the platform in a way that is meaningful. Of course, there is really no solution to this, except to educate the public more about it, so that we can avoid more problems. I can see bad behavior occurring especially in the AR/VR space, too.

So, what are some good practices for using these platforms? I'll list a few.
  1. Post safe-for-work material, even if the site is an "adult site."
  2. Do not interact personally with another user (i.e. in DMs, going off to a different platform, etc.) until you have interacted with them in a public space. Obviously, there is no guarantee that said person is true to their identity, but assuming they are, you will be able to use your judgement later on.
  3. Do not intentionally post in the wrong forum section, Discord channel, etc.
    1. Also, don't just jump in randomly with off-topic discussion. Follow the discussion if it interests you, and it it doesn't, don't say anything.
  4. Do not defame people, schools, businesses, etc.
    1. I actually see this a LOT. If you are angry about a person, your school, your employer, or whatever, either don't talk about it at all, or keep it in your REAL LIFE circle (family members mainly).
  5. Have a filter—don't discuss very personal problems unless it is relevant to the discussion, part of a fundraiser, etc., and it's in the best interest of the community to do that.
    1. This also ties into point #4, because those personal problems can absolutely be - and most of the time are - related to things like in #4.
    2. This also means not showing your face, name, etc. unless you are willingly able and comfortable to do that - and it's in the best interest of the community. This might differ from platform to platform - it certainly does for me.
  6. Last, but certainly not least, don't do stupid stuff for "internet clout" or attention. It'll likely get you in trouble in real life.
Now, please understand that this is by no means a complete list, so please don't take it as such. If you have anything you'd like to add, please reply with your thoughts.

EDIT: I am also not innocent here; sure, I've broken these "rules" before. I came up with these based on the mistakes I have made.

Last edited:

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
So I can appreciate and respect this list. It's thorough and well worded and by no means are you wrong on any counts of it. It's nice to see a list like this.

However, and this is not a criticism of your list,...it assumes 3 things.
  1. People will adhere to the rules of said platform.
  2. Moderation will happen to keep things in line.
  3. People wont say "Hold my beer" just for the fame.
Facebook lets people get away with SOOOOO much (not that the other platforms dont) and they're kind of hypocritical when enforcing their own rules so how is it fair to expect people to follow the rules when the platform itself cherry picks what rules to follow in the first place?

Unlike message boards (like Macrumors), Social Media has almost zero content moderation and in some cases, platforms have not only invited more crazy, they've encouraged it. The only time platforms will moderate content is when it becomes an immediate red flag that will cause either a lawsuit or a criminal investigation. Even then, it's still a 50/50 if it gets removed from the platform.

As for the posting of dumb things just for the fame, all you have to do is search "Driving tesla with Apple Vision Pro" on TikTok and I'm sure there will be 1000 results. We live in an era where doing the dumbest thing possible will get you the most views and notoriety. Not saying it's right because 9/10, the dumb things people post involve either themselves or other people getting hurt, arrested or something worse.

The ONLY thing I (respectfully) disagree with on your list is not "defaming" businesses or schools. Personally, I have no problem calling out a business or school online because of something they've decided to do that will inevitably hurt people to one degree or another. Whether it's stealing money from hard working people and claiming it as a tax break or telling kids what they can or cannot read in a library. If they are going to post things on social media, then like the rest of us, they are fair game in terms of getting praise or backlash.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Very good summary and I think this is a good basis to start and no I haven't followed those myself. Another thing I may add is be very careful on political issues - there is a reason I have not joined some of the political forums some MR people have joined after the closing of the politics sub-forum here. It's worse on social media, I do follow some political accounts but I refrain most of the time from putting my opinions out there and watch out about useless internet arguments. I have been burned before. Best be subtle I think. ;)

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
The problem is that you can create as many rules as you want, but the structure of social media itself encourages violating these rules. There can be rules for users, but can there be rules for the platforms themselves? People do things for clout because social media encourages and rewards it. If it didn't, we'd see a lot less stupid behavior in public. But right now, making an a** of yourself in public is a way to get a huge amount of attention and potentially money as well. The system needs to change if people are going to change their behavior.

I certainly think we can all try to be better, and I don't use social media the way clout-chasers do, but there's a lack of incentives here, on the part of users and the platforms.

Last edited:
Reactions: rm5 and decafjava

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Alright, mass quoting session incoming...

So I can appreciate and respect this list. It's thorough and well worded and by no means are you wrong on any counts of it. It's nice to see a list like this.

However, and this is not a criticism of your list,...it assumes 3 things.
  1. People will adhere to the rules of said platform.
  2. Moderation will happen to keep things in line.
  3. People wont say "Hold my beer" just for the fame.
Facebook lets people get away with SOOOOO much (not that the other platforms dont) and they're kind of hypocritical when enforcing their own rules so how is it fair to expect people to follow the rules when the platform itself cherry picks what rules to follow in the first place?

Unlike message boards (like Macrumors), Social Media has almost zero content moderation and in some cases, platforms have not only invited more crazy, they've encouraged it. The only time platforms will moderate content is when it becomes an immediate red flag that will cause either a lawsuit or a criminal investigation. Even then, it's still a 50/50 if it gets removed from the platform.

As for the posting of dumb things just for the fame, all you have to do is search "Driving tesla with Apple Vision Pro" on TikTok and I'm sure there will be 1000 results. We live in an era where doing the dumbest thing possible will get you the most views and notoriety. Not saying it's right because 9/10, the dumb things people post involve either themselves or other people getting hurt, arrested or something worse.

The ONLY thing I (respectfully) disagree with on your list is not "defaming" businesses or schools. Personally, I have no problem calling out a business or school online because of something they've decided to do that will inevitably hurt people to one degree or another. Whether it's stealing money from hard working people and claiming it as a tax break or telling kids what they can or cannot read in a library. If they are going to post things on social media, then like the rest of us, they are fair game in terms of getting praise or backlash.
I think you have a point about the moderation (or lack thereof) on social media, but I would argue this doesn't apply to all social media platforms.

With regards to calling out businesses, schools, I was specifically talking about your own employer or school - or any entity you have done business with in the past.

Very good summary and I think this is a good basis to start and no I haven't followed those myself. Another thing I may add is be very careful on political issues - there is a reason I have not joined some of the political forums some MR people have joined after the closing of the politics sub-forum here. It's worse on social media, I do follow some political accounts but I refrain most of the time from putting my opinions out there and watch out about useless internet arguments. I have been burned before. Best be subtle I think. ;)
I rarely join political discussions—I only do if it's with people I'm very close to. Otherwise... nope! Not having any of it.
The problem is that you can create as many rules as you want, but the structure of social media itself encourages violating these rules. There can be rules for users, but can there be rules for the platforms themselves? People do things for clout because social media encourages and rewards it. If it didn't, we'd see a lot less stupid behavior in public. But right now, making an a** of yourself in public is a way to get a huge amount of attention and potentially money as well. The system needs to change if people are going to change their behavior.

I certainly think we can all try to be better, and I don't use social media the way clout-chasers do, but there's a lack of incentives here, on the part of users and the platforms.
I don't use social media in that way, either. But you're right--platforms can set rules, but they have potentially billions of users, and you can never guarantee that everyone will follow them. But federal laws are indeed in place so that stuff that's REALLY extreme is actually illegal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.