Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
My family has both Macs and PCs on our household network. Our printer is an Epson NX110. When we first introduced my Mac onto the network we found out that it was impossible to configure the printer to connect to both OSes simultaneously because the printer is plugged into a Windows desktop and that is how it gets its network location. I'm looking for a good print server that will allow all computers in the house to connect to this printer simultaneously.

Last edited:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
My family has both Macs and PCs on our household network. Our printer is an Epson NX110. When we first introduced my Mac onto the network we found out that it was impossible to configure the printer to connect to both OSes simultaneously because the printer is plugged into a Windows desktop and that is how it gets its network location. I'm looking for a good print server that will allow all computers in the house to connect to this printer simultaneously.
You don't need a print server for a printer that is connected directly to a computer. FWIW, both Windows and MacOS X allow you to share a directly-connected printer. In either case, the host computer is the server. With either Windows or MacOS X acting as the host, the other OS sees the shared printer as a networked PostScript printer. You access the printer using the host computer's IP address. Your Finder Help menu will explain how to setup the printer using either MacOS X or Windows as the host.

If you want to go through the extra expense of purchasing a print server, then you will need a compatible [free] CUPS driver to use the printer with your Mac.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
You don't need a print server for a printer that is connected directly to a computer. FWIW, both Windows and MacOS X allow you to share a directly-connected printer. In either case, the host computer is the server. With either Windows or MacOS X acting as the host, the other OS sees the shared printer as a networked PostScript printer. You access the printer using the host computer's IP address. Your Finder Help menu will explain how to setup the printer using either MacOS X or Windows as the host.

If you want to go through the extra expense of purchasing a print server, then you will need a compatible [free] CUPS driver to use the printer with your Mac.
Thanks. I tried the host IP method a while ago and it didn't work for some reason. I guess I'll give it another try.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
JetDirects work great for me but I can't verify what will or will not work with your specific printer.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Here's an alternative suggestion - get a new printer with a LAN or WiFi connection.
I have an old HP6840 that is used by a Win7 PC and a MacBook Air. This works fine through a built-in LAN connection.
You might find that the cost of a PrintServer is the same as the net cost of a new printer (old printer sold on Ebay)

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Here's an alternative suggestion - get a new printer with a LAN or WiFi connection.
I have an old HP6840 that is used by a Win7 PC and a MacBook Air. This works fine through a built-in LAN connection.
You might find that the cost of a PrintServer is the same as the net cost of a new printer (old printer sold on Ebay)

I agree. Furthermore, if you have the option to direct connect it to your wired network... take that approach over using WiFi. It is more stable.

BTW: There is a huge misconception amongst consumers that in order to print from a wireless laptop... you need a wireless printer. Absolutely not true. Personally, I think that printer manufactures are doing themselves a huge disservice perpetuating this myth... along with shoddy and hard to use internet connection implementations.

/Jim

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. Actually, I was able to get my Mac connected to the printer just now. One of the issues was that the printer was always asking for a username and password. The Windows computer that it was connected to didn't have a password. It turns out that by adding a password to the computer I was able to get the printer set up. I'm not sure why the password was so essential on a password-less computer.

I'll check your solutions for future use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.