Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seraphex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Hi guys, ive pre-ordered the new iphone 3gs and was wondering what are the best quality headphones for the iphone?

I dont listen too technically demanding musicm but would like a good, crisp sound. Ive been tempted by many a headphone, but i know most of them won't fit the 3g/3gs... have peoples experinces with the extension cables been good?

Cheers for any replies!

jmeray

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
The iphone 3GS jack should probably fit any headphone with 3.5mm
However, your concern should be the CASE you put on the iphone.
If it limits your jack width, then you'll need to adapt in some way.
So... once you pick out a case, if you are going to use one, THEN go shopping for headphones in local stores, find one that works, then either buy it or do some online shopping.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
First off, I find the 'stock' headphones / earbuds that Apple ships with their products both uncomfortable and unlistenable. So that's where I'm coming from. I like my music to sound as good as it can, and am spoiled by my home setups most likely. I'm a touch audiophileish, although I know that's a dirty word ;)

I'm really surprised by the Creative EP-630 headphones. Not expensive at all, great fit, and surprisingly good sound given the price (around $30). They actually sound better to me than my Shure E4C's, and they fit better and more snugly as well. I get much better isolation with the foam earplug style earpieces for the E4C, but the Creative just sounds a bit fuller and just as clear and dynamic. I actually have 2 sets - one for work, one for home - that's how much I like 'em. And at that price, why not!

Interesting side note too - I must have knocked a set into the hamper at some point a couple months ago, and I did a full load of laundry... washer AND dryer... with the headphones going through as well! So water, detergent, high speeds, intense heat... torture. The cables were a bit kinked up, but other than that they looked... fine! I let them sit for a day, plugged them in and they were in perfect working order. I even brought home my set from work to A/B them and see if the frequency range had been altered - figured I may have lost some clarity and highs due to a weakened speaker element or residue on the small, silver (antimicrobial) grille... and nope - they sounded identical. Amazing.

And yes, they have a small, straight plug that easily accommodates my iPod in a DLO leather case, so I'm betting they work fine with an iPhone.

And FWIW, I would suggest that you buy from a reputable online seller, brick-and-mortar, or simply Creative itself. There has been a large problem with low-quality near-knockoffs of this particular model. You can Google "ep-630 fake" and find info and testimonials.

-Ben

CallMeZsaZsa

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Im pretty happy with my apple in ear earphones (not the ear buds). I get a good fit, they sound great and I got them on the 'bay for $35

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
Im pretty happy with my apple in ear earphones (not the ear buds). I get a good fit, they sound great and I got them on the 'bay for $35
And just to clarify, I was only referring to the non 'in ear' Apple headphones as very uncomfortable and bad sounding... this type:

image01.jpg

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Hi guys, ive pre-ordered the new iphone 3gs and was wondering what are the best quality headphones for the iphone?

I dont listen too technically demanding musicm but would like a good, crisp sound. Ive been tempted by many a headphone, but i know most of them won't fit the 3g/3gs... have peoples experinces with the extension cables been good?

Cheers for any replies!

check this brand out
atomicfloyd.com

pretty sweet

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
check this brand out
atomicfloyd.com

pretty sweet

Wow - those look incredible and I think I may order a set to check out!

One thing I forgot to add though: I can actually lay my head, ear-side-down, on a pillow and comfortably fall asleep with the Creative EP-630's in my ear because of their design, small size, and lack of bulk. I don't recommend this, but sometimes it's very helpful during periods of stress or when the birds in spring start singing outside your window at 3AM ;)

-Ben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.