Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
Can anyone suggest some font that are used used in a commercial magazines? Has anyone on here done any work on magazine layouts? I'm after a choice of font that can be used for the larger chunk of text in articles and i'm also after a text that will be suitable for large quotes stood by themselves and for headings.

I like the font they've used on these quotes anyone know what it might be?

quote1.gif
quote2.gif

That font would be perfect for large quotes in a magazine.

The font used for the main body of text in this would also be fine with a little tweaking - http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/tmg.html (I love the fade from bold black in the header to grey to normal black at the beginning of that link very classy).

cheers
sam

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Northern VA
Myriad is also my guess for your example.

It all depends on the feel you want the magazine to have. New, fresh? or established? conservative?

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
excellent, yeh myriad looks close enough for jazz for those quotes. Will the rest of the article be myriad aswell then? Looks close enough to me eitherway.

I wouldn't mind a list of a few different fonts if anyone has a few good tried and tested fonts so that I have the choice of more than just myriad and arial for future layouts. I'm working on a feature car layout at the moment so something a little traditional yet professional would do for that I think.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
Oh wow thanks for asking this -- you beat me to it. I was going to post the same question here...

However, more specifically, I was interested in some good quality magazine text body fonts, most likely a serif font (as that seems to be the standard in most high-class magazines)... any suggestions?

I work for a company ( http://www.NewWest.net ) that is starting a print magazine this year, and we need to start making these sorts of decisions... I suppose the font would need to be classy, and somewhat fresh (it is the NEW west, not the OLD west, although we don't want to completely neglect the "western" roots... if that makes sense)

RideIt

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
FL
I have so many fonts I can't keep up with them.

I'll look through and see if there are any good western fonts.

how about Rosewood or Garth Graphic..

eyeon

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
RideIt said:
I have so many fonts I can't keep up with them.

I'll look through and see if there are any good western fonts.

how about Rosewood or Garth Graphic..

Thanks, that would be a huge help!

I hate to be picky, but Rosewood is a little *too* western... It still has to have that somewhat conservative, serif magazine look... Garth Graphic seems quite nice, however...

I appreciate your help.

RideIt

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
FL
eyeon said:
Thanks, that would be a huge help!

I hate to be picky, but Rosewood is a little *too* western... It still has to have that somewhat conservative, serif magazine look... Garth Graphic seems quite nice, however...

I appreciate your help.

Those were off the top of my head but I'll look through my suitcase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.