Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Don’t know if this is a good thing or a bug or it’s a device issue now.

i am using iPhone X.Off late whenever I put it for charging on wireless pad, the phone charges only till 80% and not beyond.

When I charge it with cable, it charges to 100% ...

I have a device automation that announces every time the battery charge is above 80%.

wandering if this is good or is it a physical device/battery issue.

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
I had similar issues, for me the iPhone X was in a closed leather sleeve in a warm room and was overheating - perhaps you have the same situation?

Reactions: ParagJain

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Don’t feel super hot and also, not using any case. It just stays there.
I have battery Optimizer on but if that’s working then I assume it should work when I charge using cable as well.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I have battery Optimizer on but if that’s working then I assume it should work when I charge using cable as well.
Not necessarily.

First line...
Apple said:
With iOS 13 and later, your iPhone learns from your daily charging habits to improve the lifespan of your battery.
Keyword: learns.

I can't speak about this with any experience as battery optimization has never intervened on my devices, probably because I don't leave my devices on the charger long after they reach 100% and frequently fully discharge.

However, I assume the system can/does recognize and adjust per power source. So, if true, it could be noticing you leave your iPhone on the Qi charger for a long while after reaching 100% charge but not so when charging your device via USB-Lightning.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
If that’s the case then I am truly impressed. This is a 3 year old phone and the software is compatible to have this intelligence is truly amazing.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I had a habit of just leaving my iPhone 8plus on a Samsung wireless charger, one morning i noticed my phones case was splitting i had noticed the phone was fairly warm but never gave it much thought.
Many people tell you the iPhone will not allow over charging, maybe they are wrong.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I had a habit of just leaving my iPhone 8plus on a Samsung wireless charger, one morning i noticed my phones case was splitting i had noticed the phone was fairly warm but never gave it much thought.
Many people tell you the iPhone will not allow over charging, maybe they are wrong.

Maybe the splitting case is not related to additional warmth created by a wireless charging process?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Who knows.....do you know?

I don’t think anybody knows what your setup is. What we do know is that the fate of your case is not a charging issue and not really applicable to the OPs situation. The only coincidence is that you happened to charge without a cable.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I don’t think anybody knows what your setup is. What we do know is that the fate of your case is not a charging issue and not really applicable to the OPs situation. The only coincidence is that you happened to charge without a cable.

If it had nothing to do with my charging, then why did the battery swell up and split the phones case?

All i know today is i only need to charge my new iphone 11, once with the standard iPhone supplied charger for about 45 minuets, and after 24 houres it's only down around 10%.

And the phones case never even gets warm, and most of all it's not splitting, i just posted to give people what happened to my iPhone with a Samsung wireless charger what others do or don't do is their decision.

Last edited:

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Onething I've really liked on iOS 14 is the automations related to battery; In fact I've done this on all my devices.

When the battery is 30% it just speaks a simple message to put it on charge
and same goes when it goes over 81%; With work from home scenarios, my charging scheduled has improved a lot;

that's how I started observing that on wireless pad, it wasn't moving about 80; I never used to hear Siri's voice telling me to take my phone off charger.

Will continue doing the same thing on model 12 whenever I buy it..for me, it became a good routine to follow.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If it had nothing to do with my charging, then why did the battery swell up and split the phones case?

All i know today is i only need to charge my new iphone 11, once with the standard iPhone supplied charger for about 45 minuets, and after 24 houres it's only down around 10%.

And the phones case never even gets warm, and most of all it's not splitting, i just posted to give people what happened to my iPhone with a Samsung wireless charger what others do or don't do is their decision.

Wireless chargers usually adhere to a standard. If your scenario would be wide spread people would have ranted here to no end. As we tend to do on enthusiast forums.

I thought you were having a split case as in a case that you put your phone in, not that the body of yours iPhone actually split. Sorry for the confusion.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Onething I've really liked on iOS 14 is the automations related to battery; In fact I've done this on all my devices.

When the battery is 30% it just speaks a simple message to put it on charge
and same goes when it goes over 81%; With work from home scenarios, my charging scheduled has improved a lot;

that's how I started observing that on wireless pad, it wasn't moving about 80; I never used to hear Siri's voice telling me to take my phone off charger.

Will continue doing the same thing on model 12 whenever I buy it..for me, it became a good routine to follow.
I have bought many iPads over the years and i never take them off their standard Apple iPad chargers, they are only used in my home never taken any other place.

Over many years none have ever split their cases because of a sweling battery, but at the same time i have had two Samsung tablets and a Samsung phone all have had cases split with batteries sweling using their standard supplied Samsung battery chargers, and trust me i have had a really tought time getting Sansung support to address my problems it took many calls till Samsung rebuitl the tablet and again it did the same thing , after many calls again Samsung offered another tablet but not the one i had bought but a cheaper tablet. told me take it or take nothing i took it and it's now in a box and not used.

The point i am trying to make is Apple understands what the best charging system is and how it should be used.

Reactions: ParagJain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.