Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr2020

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Colorado
I often take screenshots on my Mac, sometimes with Skitch, and other times just using Cmd+Shift+4 and friends. I always forget the modifiers (e.g. add Ctrl for something)...but today after pressing Cmd+Shift+4, the touch bar came up with some options, which is just what I needed at the time:

CxkszHOUoAAWXoy.jpg:large

Very handy, and unexpected!

Anyone else found cool unexpected touch bar features?

azntaiji

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I often take screenshots on my Mac, sometimes with Skitch, and other times just using Cmd+Shift+4 and friends. I always forget the modifiers (e.g. add Ctrl for something)...but today after pressing Cmd+Shift+4, the touch bar came up with some options, which is just what I needed at the time:

Yes! I do a lot of reports which requires a lot of screenshotting - both to clipboard and saved as a file.

This feature has been a lifesaver! Beats the awkward 4 finger key combo

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i think 2 years from now, we will not be able to live without our touchbar and i wonder what they will do next with the upcoming macOS !

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
As developers get chance to play around with the technology and Apple themselves explore it further I think we will see some truly amazing changes to our workflow and it's everyday functionality.

They've done this before with things like the Apple Watch... although I much preferred the looks of my Gear S2 Classic the Apple Watch Series 2 just blows it away in functionality, we'll see this and more with the TouchBar :)

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
That's really cool! I too am firmly entrenched in the camp that thinks the Touch Bar will be wildly popular and very useful. Thank you for sharing this feature! It helps pass the time for those of us waiting.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris

These options would slow me down and don't offer me anything. I hit 3, it saves the a full screen shot to the desktop. I hit 4, I just need to drag a marquee.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
These options would slow me down and don't offer me anything. I hit 3, it saves the a full screen shot to the desktop. I hit 4, I just need to drag a marquee.

And those functions are still there. You won't be slowed down one millisecond. The Touch Bar simply displays options as you go. It doesn't stop the show and require input before you can continue.

Reactions: HenryDJP

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Badly-written, but I think I got it now -- adding the control key makes the screenshot of the touch bar instead of the main display?
Cmd-shift-3 saves a picture of the screen
Cmd-shift-4 saves a picture of a selected area
Adding the control key to either puts the result on the clipboard instead of saving it.

New: Cmd-shift-6 saves a picture of the touch bar.
Adding the control key puts it on the clipboard as with 'regular' screenshots.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Cmd-shift-3 saves a picture of the screen
Cmd-shift-4 saves a picture of a selected area
Adding the control key to either puts the result on the clipboard instead of saving it.

New: Cmd-shift-6 saves a picture of the touch bar.
Adding the control key puts it on the clipboard as with 'regular' screenshots.
Ohhhhhhkay, cool. As usual, the simpler explanation (like yours) makes more sense.

stevefeinstein

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Now, is there a way to do a "screenshot" of the Touch Bar? ;)
Yes, use the grap.app. It's an option in there.
[doublepost=1497296219][/doublepost]

I don't know if this is a bug or feature. I chose to save to clipboard using the touch bar, and now ALL screen captures go to the clipboard and never to a file no matter if I use the control key or not. ⌘-SHIFT-3 should save a file on my desktop, but it just copies the screen to the clipboard.

I have yet to figure out how to reset this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.