Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
My fifth gen iPod just died. It's trying to boot, but gets only to the Apple screen then there's an ominous click, the screen dies, and the process repeats.

I'm bummed. It may have been old and outdated but until a few hours ago it worked just fine and I used it regularly. Now, only my first gen nano still lives.

A small connection to a different Apple era has gone...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
A shame, I still use my 6th gen for going jogging, it also seems to be on its last legs with battery life now :confused: There's always the seventh gen, which is largely identical but with modern internals if you care to replace it? Load up an old backup of your 5th gen (if you have one?) and it will be almost the same (sans the jump from iOS9 to 13).

Fusionskies

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
United Kingdom
My fifth gen iPod just died. It's trying to boot, but gets only to the Apple screen then there's an ominous click, the screen dies, and the process repeats.

I'm bummed. It may have been old and outdated but until a few hours ago it worked just fine and I used it regularly. Now, only my first gen nano still lives.

A small connection to a different Apple era has gone...

I was heartbroken when mine died, although it was around 12 years ago.
You should be able to replace the HDD though. Maybe even take advantage and use this time to swap in an SSD. I'm not sure how it works with the 5th gen, assume its the same procedure as other models.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I was heartbroken when mine died, although it was around 12 years ago.
You should be able to replace the HDD though. Maybe even take advantage and use this time to swap in an SSD. I'm not sure how it works with the 5th gen, assume its the same procedure as other models.
It is, sort of. I don't have a 5th gen, but I do have a flash-modded 1st gen Mini so I'm vaguely familiar with the process.

@jouster My condolences, I have a 6.5 gen I got new and I will be very sad when/if that goes. The RockBox wiki has some good information if you're interested in a procedure like what we're talking about: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CFModGuide

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I'd concur to convert the iPod to flash memory. Just don't go crazy with the size as it will struggle synching with iTunes.

It's understandable if you don't want to do it. Consider putting it on ebay as broken. There's a market out there for people that convert them.

I think 256 would be perfect, my 6th gen is limited to 128 and while its fine I like the extra space of my 160, I just won't take the 160 out of my house. My 128 lives inside my jeep.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
There is a whole industry of iPod doctors out there. Just Google, send it off, get it fixed.
[automerge]1590283806[/automerge]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.