Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Never mind feature updates, I've seen problems from Windows monthly "security" updates.

Bluetooth totally broke on my desktop for 2 months between April and June due to a windows update (which another Windows update silently/magically fixed).

I mean come on!

Luckily the only bluetooth things use on it are Sony headphones and an xbox X controller, but if I was using a mouse/keyboard via Bluetooth on it I'd be screwed.
Windows 11 broke the snipping tool. SNIPPING TOOL! Due to a certificate expiring. I resorted to having to take a picture of something with my phone to send it!

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Windows 11 broke the snipping tool. SNIPPING TOOL! Due to a certificate expiring. I resorted to having to take a picture of something with my phone to send it!
You could have, like, hit PrtScr key, or Alt+PrtScr. I’ve been using windows since 3.1 and don’t even know how that sniping looks like is. It was always PrtScr to get a screen grab.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You could have, like, hit PrtScr key, or Alt+PrtScr. I’ve been using windows since 3.1 and don’t even know how that sniping looks like is. It was always PrtScr to get a screen grab.
I needed to send something quickly, I didn't have time to go into photoshop to remove some other elements from my screen that I did not want to show.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'm amazed at the screenshot above--it looks like the screen was amazingly good looking, given the realities of the hardware!

I'm curious if anyone knows this...but how well did it perform? I can kind of imagine the Apple II hardware struggling. Indeed, I remember a high school teacher getting some IIe software that could print AppleWork documents that looked like they'd been done on a Mac. It took something like at least twenty minutes to print a single page.

It's clever use of text mode called MouseText so it's responsive. Most had accelerators anyway that flew through everything. Here's an affordable 16.6MHz accelerator that's about quadruple the speed of what was common back in the days.

http://www.a2heaven.com/webshop/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=147

Reactions: WriteNow

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I do not make backups, but I only have applications on my internal drive. Therefore, I have in the past wiped the drive and re-installed the previous OS when things didn't work. Most recently was the whole Catalina update. Caused kernel panics 4 times every day so I went back to what I was using before. Apple confirmed it was the OS and NOT my system, and now Catalina runs just fine on that mac.
But the key is that apparently you are capable of recovering from a problematic situation.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There are so many snipping/screen grabbing apps, I think taknig a picture with your camera is a bit odd. Besides, the snipping tool is probably the least user friendly - there are so many better tools out there.

As for the cert expiring - that happens, Apple has had its own cert issues through out the years - Apple server issue caused app install, macOS update failures, runtime problems

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Same.

Windows 11 has been fantastic for me
not for me, the battery life is worse, and shuts down after 20% left
this was a upgrade to windows 11 from 10 on a 2019 Dell XPS 13'
the little things really are annoying like the left and right task bar area select not working.
the extra copy and rename step is again annoying.

so i decided to return to windows 10 by using the original ssdrive
The dell ups is running a WD blue SN550 which is great
yesterday is inserted the original ssd drive, start the Dell and now that won't read the hard drive.
since im not a Windows fixer like a MacBook, i reinserted the WD and everything worked as in the morning.

now im wondering if the original ssd drive is toast, or i need to press F12 as in both "Function-F12"?

i swap 3 ssd drives in both MacBook airs and never had a boot problem.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
not for me, the battery life is worse, and shuts down after 20% left
this was a upgrade to windows 11 from 10 on a 2019 Dell XPS 13'
the little things really are annoying like the left and right task bar area select not working.
the extra copy and rename step is again annoying.

so i decided to return to windows 10 by using the original ssdrive
The dell ups is running a WD blue SN550 which is great
yesterday is inserted the original ssd drive, start the Dell and now that won't read the hard drive.
since im not a Windows fixer like a MacBook, i reinserted the WD and everything worked as in the morning.

now im wondering if the original ssd drive is toast, or i need to press F12 as in both "Function-F12"?

i swap 3 ssd drives in both MacBook airs and never had a boot problem.
There are icons on the top of the right click menu for cut, copy, paste. But I might be missing something. Most former functionality can be restored by changing registry keys.

As to why the original hard drive wouldn't work, it shouldn't be a bios thing. It could have been a connection issue, or like you said, the hard drive was going bad? It's rare but it happens.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Not sure why you felt compelled to tell strangers you switched to Windows. You might as well make a sign and stand on the side of the road announcing you are now using Windows.
Love these "goodbye" posts especially from someone who just joined the same day - I would post a clip of someone stomping to the door, leaving then slamming but that might be too much. Oh wait...

Anyway, glad to see it's not just iOS that is being dropped like a hot potato but MacOS as well. /s

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
I'll be Mac.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Cape Dave

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
As to why the original hard drive wouldn't work, it shouldn't be a bios thing. It could have been a connection issue, or like you said, the hard drive was going bad? It's rare but it happens.
thanks for the reply,
the hard drive was perfect and everything was BIOsed before removing.
one of these day i will install that again and try to figure out if that works.
i also had a problem with a camera card drive were the MacBook read that better than the Dell XPS.

those iWindows 11 icons are hard to guess for me and personally made for children.
ahh, we must think of the children!

• Haha
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
The €35 Canon printer/scanner I bought at a supermarket works perfectly fine, over WiFi, on both my 2011 MBP running High Sierra and my 2020 MBA M1 running Monterey.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
And next ball to drop is no more rosetta later which will effectively decimate all the legacy intel mac software. This probably needs to happen sooner than later as there’s little incentive to do native m1 apps right now.

I give it 3 more years tops.
I’m surprised apple doesn’t just not provide Rosetta in the first place. That will push all devs to rush M1 compatible software on day 1.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I’m surprised apple doesn’t just not provide Rosetta in the first place. That will push all devs to rush M1 compatible software on day 1.

IIRC, they did. They announced and pushed that the moment Big Sur and the first set of M1 Macs came out. That was part of the 2-year warning for dropping Intel.

Now relevant to a fresh OS install, I can see why they don't include it. If someone has no use for any x86-based applications on their Mac, having Rosetta installed on it would effectively be bloatware. They wouldn't need it nor should be stuck with programs they'll never use.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.