Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
[Update] the app finally was updated.

The app has been abandoned and the developer is missing and unresponsive to any questions. Is there any good alternatives to the app? I tried Documents by Readdle, but it doesn't support setting custom password to a specific folder inside the app.

Any idea? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: quangdansocial

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The beauty of the App Store is that it tells you what you want to know. I like GoodNotes, but Notability is highly regarded.

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 5.31.13 AM.png

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
The app has been abandoned and the developer is missing and unresponsive to any questions. Is there any good alternatives to the app? I tried Documents by Readdle, but it doesn't support setting custom password to a specific folder inside the app.

Any idea? Thanks.

Not true. Just the other day received an email from the developer asking if I wanted to be part of the Goodreader 5 beta testing. Seems a new release will occur within next month or two. As far as the app itself, I have my GR PDFs in iCloud Drive. Beta 5 app didn’t automatically sync them. :( Waiting for developer to respond about it. Perhaps Santa taking higher priority. ;)

Reactions: glowplug

glowplug

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2017
Not true. Just the other day received an email from the developer asking if I wanted to be part of the Goodreader 5 beta testing. Seems a new release will occur within next month or two. As far as the app itself, I have my GR PDFs in iCloud Drive. Beta 5 app didn’t automatically sync them. :( Waiting for developer to respond about it. Perhaps Santa taking higher priority. ;)

This is nice to hear, I would be very happy to see an update from Goodreader.

Is iCloud auto-sync in Goodreader v4? That's a feature that would be great to have, but with v4 I've only been ever been able to auto-sync to Google Drive and Dropbox.

Reactions: Hawaiian Starman

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
This is nice to hear, I would be very happy to see an update from Goodreader.

Is iCloud auto-sync in Goodreader v4? That's a feature that would be great to have, but with v4 I've only been ever been able to auto-sync to Google Drive and Dropbox.

Initially I used dropbox to sync documents amongst devices. However, I started to run out of cloud space. So I switched to iCloud, where I have plenty of space. I prefer to maintain my PDF documents on my device to preclude the need to download. Yet, in GF4, iCloud integration has been spotty. Sometimes actual documents on a device show available in the cloud but not on my device (requiring again an unnecessary download ). I'm looking forward to beta testing v5 for this very reason.

Reactions: glowplug

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
iCloud on Goodreader Beta 5 works without issue. However, to implement the cloud sync (not obvious when using the app), user needs to create a new folder in iCloud Drive for GR5beta (name it GRBetaContainer). Then copy/paste the contents from the GR4 folder (Goodreader). Perhaps most easily done on the computer.

Once GR5 gold is released, this dual folder in the Cloud will be unnecessary.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I used to love Goodreader but it wasn’t keeping up. I switched to PDF Expert. It’s markup is wonderful. Goodreader had better page flipping capabilities but it tried to do too much and was cluttered.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

Any idea? Thanks.
The app has not been abandoned. They’re currently working on the next version which I’m beta testing now. Just be a little patient and wait for the new release.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Goodreader 5 now available. If you already have 4, you will get the upgrade for free but there are additional features (split screen mode, security and business-focused) which require an in-app payment (around 5 quid).

I’ve played with it for a few minutes and can confirm it’s a lot slicker than the previous version. PDF viewing is great and the app supports iPad Pro 11” full screen, which is very pleasing.

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
Goodreader 5 can not be used without accepting an EULA in which the manufacturer reserves itself far reaching rights for collecting data.

I am not comfortable with that and will stop using Goodreader, although I used it a lot in the past.

Reactions: bhodinut

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009

Any idea? Thanks.
Finally the app has been updated.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
I have to say I’m underwhelmed by the new update. The interface is a bit garish, text is misaligned and so on. It’s a bit unpolished.

Options that were there in v4 are (apparently) missing. Go to a particular numbered page? Tap to zoom in?

The multipage view is now a single column of page thumbnails, which wastes space and means twice as much scrolling.

It’s not a total disaster, but it seems a step backwards in some ways. It’s annoying because there are few PDF readers that seem to get everything right - and it’s the reading rather than editing that I’m interested in.

Greynote

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2019
I have to say I’m underwhelmed by the new update. The interface is a bit garish, text is misaligned and so on. It’s a bit unpolished.

Options that were there in v4 are (apparently) missing. Go to a particular numbered page? Tap to zoom in?

The multipage view is now a single column of page thumbnails, which wastes space and means twice as much scrolling.

It’s not a total disaster, but it seems a step backwards in some ways. It’s annoying because there are few PDF readers that seem to get everything right - and it’s the reading rather than editing that I’m interested in.

Greypad is free and should work well for your use case. It also features a security mechanism that no other PDF app has. Give it a shot and I'd appreciate any feedback. :)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
In V5 I can't connect to any of my networked PCs via Samba - get error messages. And I too was put off by the very broad data access statements in the EULA. Since similar functionality that I use is available in other apps, I deleted Goodreader.

border terrier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2013
England
Anyone know how to stop this app v5 from opening all my iCloud docs within it? I use to use the app for storing loads of pdf docs I use as reference but now it opens everything, not good and I don't know how to turn this off. Any help appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.