Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcumming

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Google Calendar question on iphone ios Iphone 13, 16.2 regarding Notifications please...
I notice two things - On Samsung phone I had for years with Google Calendar if I set up an event with no notification in advance (no minutes set)--I would still get a notif on Samsung phone to let me know.
Could be like "Weekly Meeting", "Call Jim", Look at Bank account", "Take out trash", "Wife's birthday" etc... Never set up a reminder/task. I put everything in events.
So I noticed on my iphone that there is no notification of the event IF I do not set a time notification prior to the event. Even a minute would work and I would get a notification.
So I guess with new iPhone I will have to default notification on some events to 1 minute or something. Same if I want it to appear on Desktop PC. ??????????????????????????

I think I have all settings right on iphone for Google Calendar and do include "ON", Time Sensitive events" or that might be in apple calendar on iphone which I have off as of this writing. Been trying everything. I am signed in to Google.
I did shut off notifications from the iphone Calendar which I do not use so I do not get duplicate notifications...But perhaps I should turn that on and I might get notifications for those Google Events with no "time ahead" notification.
Thoughts???
I know I asked a lot of questions of late and do appreciate the help.

Thank you
Peter

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm having trouble understanding the exact issue here. Is it possible for you to state, in one sentence, what it is you would like to happen?
I believe what OP is trying to say is that on Android OP was able to enter an event and then get a notification for it - without having to set a time for the notification.

With iOS, that's not the case. OP has to set a time.

Google Calendar question on iphone ios Iphone 13, 16.2 regarding Notifications please...
I notice two things - On Samsung phone I had for years with Google Calendar if I set up an event with no notification in advance (no minutes set)--I would still get a notif on Samsung phone to let me know.
Could be like "Weekly Meeting", "Call Jim", Look at Bank account", "Take out trash", "Wife's birthday" etc... Never set up a reminder/task. I put everything in events.
So I noticed on my iphone that there is no notification of the event IF I do not set a time notification prior to the event. Even a minute would work and I would get a notification.
So I guess with new iPhone I will have to default notification on some events to 1 minute or something. Same if I want it to appear on Desktop PC. ??????????????????????????

I think I have all settings right on iphone for Google Calendar and do include "ON", Time Sensitive events" or that might be in apple calendar on iphone which I have off as of this writing. Been trying everything. I am signed in to Google.
I did shut off notifications from the iphone Calendar which I do not use so I do not get duplicate notifications...But perhaps I should turn that on and I might get notifications for those Google Events with no "time ahead" notification.
Thoughts???
I know I asked a lot of questions of late and do appreciate the help.

Thank you
Peter
Rather than using the Google Calendar app for this, what happens if you add your Google account to the iPhone for calendars and then use the stock Calendar app?

That's how I've been using my Google accounts for years. With some specific exceptions, I do not have any Google apps installed.

pcumming

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
I believe what OP is trying to say is that on Android OP was able to enter an event and then get a notification for it - without having to set a time for the notification.

With iOS, that's not the case. OP has to set a time.

Rather than using the Google Calendar app for this, what happens if you add your Google account to the iPhone for calendars and then use the stock Calendar app?

That's how I've been using my Google accounts for years. With some specific exceptions, I do not have any Google apps installed.
That’s interesting. If I add my Google account which I have to the That’s interesting. If I add my Google account which I have to the Phone, would it bring over my Google calendar entries and then I can disable Google calendar? Just a thought. But I did get it confirmed (nd with testing per the prior reply. I will not get notifications via Google Calendar on the iPhone unless I do set like a one minute ahead notification. I guess this makes sense but it didn’t work that way on android. And I didn’t want to separate reminders from events and other things since it works so well. My phone also vibrated on certain events and with certain apps rather than me having to turn on And I didn’t want to separate reminders from events and other things since it works so well. My phone also vibrated on certain events and with certain apps rather than me having to turn on sips system haptics system haptics it’s a learning for me from this migration to iPhone. Thank you so very much.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know how Google Calendar works on Android but if I was getting a notification…that I didn't set…for events I would be annoyed.

I do use Google Calendar with the (built-in) Calendar apps on both iPhone and Mac. The default notifications that I have set up at the Google Calendar website for each calendar work on both the iPhone and Mac.

pcumming

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Oh I set events like -- Take out Trash, Joe's Birthday, Anniversary, etc.. But I did not want to set a time ahead for such notifications. Did not need one. Wanted it to just show up at 10am if that was the start time. It appears on Iphone with Google Cal I must set a notification of 1 minute ahead to get something for such events to show. Else nothing shows up. Now some people might use reminders for this BUT I was brought up on flip phones and then Android and the no notification with an event set would show up at the time set and not before. Thank you very much

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That’s interesting. If I add my Google account which I have to the That’s interesting. If I add my Google account which I have to the Phone, would it bring over my Google calendar entries and then I can disable Google calendar? Just a thought. But I did get it confirmed (nd with testing per the prior reply. I will not get notifications via Google Calendar on the iPhone unless I do set like a one minute ahead notification. I guess this makes sense but it didn’t work that way on android. And I didn’t want to separate reminders from events and other things since it works so well. My phone also vibrated on certain events and with certain apps rather than me having to turn on And I didn’t want to separate reminders from events and other things since it works so well. My phone also vibrated on certain events and with certain apps rather than me having to turn on sips system haptics system haptics it’s a learning for me from this migration to iPhone. Thank you so very much.
You just add your gmail account in the Settings app and then designate what you want to use. If you are only using your Google account for Calendar, then turn off Calendar for any other accounts (including iCloud). iOS will pick up the settings of your Google Calendars. You then just set whichever Calendar you are using in Google as your primary calendar.

2023-01-06 09.27.25.png 2023-01-06 09.27.57.png

pcumming

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
You just add your gmail account in the Settings app and then designate what you want to use. If you are only using your Google account for Calendar, then turn off Calendar for any other accounts (including iCloud). iOS will pick up the settings of your Google Calendars. You then just set whichever Calendar you are using in Google as your primary calendar.

View attachment 2137977 View attachment 2137976
Thank you. Great. Made my day.

Reactions: eyoungren

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you want some events to give you only a one-minute (or zero-minute) heads up put them on their own calendar. At the Google Calendar website you can customize the notifications per calendar…which will be applied to all events in that calendar but not your other calendars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.