Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
So Chrome started alerting me that 10.9 is no longer supported as of today, with the last version before this alleged change being 66.0.3359.117. If you attempt to get it directly from their download page as usual, it will supply you with version 65.0.3325.181. However, if you download the current version (66.0.3359.139 at this time) for OS X from the enterprise page, the minimum OS (in the info.plist) is still 10.9, and it runs without issue.

Just wanted to share since it's not just a "we will be dropping support" message, rather a "we have dropped support" message, which blocks the app from updating itself and hides the download, despite the fact that the current version does still support 10.9.

Update 06.25.18 The current version, 67.0.3396.99, still fully supports 10.9, no issues or modifications necessary.

Chrome 68 beta (stable version due in July), however, does not. Modifying the info.plist also doesn't work. Interestingly, the core app seems to work but it just won't load pages (save a few random sites). I'm not sure if it might be a GPU issue or a networking issue, but for those far smarter than I, it may be a relatively easy modification.

Last edited:
Reactions: reukiodo

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Might be a good reason to look into upgrading to a newer system.
El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6) can be a good choice for you.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
And, as you already know, that's one of the disadvantages with your position. Software tends to move on, even if you don't :cool:

What do you do if you need a new printer (or some other peripheral) that needs that updated system?

The Good Thing™ is that software tends to continue to work for you, until you discover you have a need to update to something new. I don't think that has anything to do with forcing you to update when you don't really need to update.
But, you do get the privilege to update when your tech situation changes, giving you the opportunity to upgrade then.
So, just saying that this may be your time, eh?

Wouldn't sharing your position be for those where updates don't matter? Nothing wrong with that either, but sometimes change can be a Good Thing™ :D

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
All reasonable points. This was mostly just a psa, I guess, that even if Chrome tells you it doesn't support 10.9 anymore, for the time being, it still does. Don't take Google at their word. Similar to how Chrome 51 can work just fine with Mountain Lion, despite the last supported version being 49.

Guidens

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2018
hi
Also does not work browser Opera

may have some solution for updating programs without updating OS X?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Absolutely. I can't handle the **** Apple peddles for a UI today. It's also nice to have things remain constant; I know how these systems work and how they don't (they have bugs, but I know those bugs).
Yes, the bugs these days are unreal. It's sad how Apple came to this.... :(

Reactions: Avenged110

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
But seriously, do you like Google Chrome?
I think, its good for using Chromecast, but as a browser... without a real menu bar? Or do I miss something?
When I tried it one day for the first time, I directly uninstalled it.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
But seriously, do you like Google Chrome?
Oh, I don't really care for it (compared to Safari, at least). But on 10.9, it's been receiving full updates for considerably more time. I use Safari for nearly everything, I just have Chrome as a backup. It also doesn't suffer from the bug that Safari on Mavericks does where the latter tends to "forget" tabs when restarting.

Last edited:

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
For me, 10.9 was the first version with memory compression and the last version with a decent Disk Utility. I really don't understand how the new Disk Utility is supposed to be 'easier', but it has made partitioning disks immeasurably more painful than in the pre-10.10 OSs. I know there is a hack somewhere in these forums to run the 10.9 Disk Utility on 10.10 (and higher?), and that works ok at least on 10.10. I don't see many advantages of the OS itself other than arbitrary app support.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
For me, 10.9 was the first version with memory compression and the last version with a decent Disk Utility. I really don't understand how the new Disk Utility is supposed to be 'easier', when it has made partitioning disks immeasurably more painful than in the pre-10.10 OSs...I don't see many advantages of the OS itself other than arbitrary app support.
I must say, everything else aside, Disk Utility on 10.10+ absolutely blows. I find it far more difficult to do really much of anything. 10.9 still works perfectly fine for me and all the apps I use either support it or continue to function. The more experience I get with or hear about newer versions of OS X the less likely I am to update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.