Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

persuasiveghost

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
Since we're on this subject, does anyone else have chrome freezing issues? I use Chrome for some development learning and I'm just used to it. It freezes incessantly:

-Regardless of how many tabs I have open.
-I'm on 10.14.2 with dark mode.
-I've had this issue on my 2017 MB pro and now my 2018.
-Happens if Im sync'd to my Google account or not.
-I've reinstalled Chrome, deleted Default folder under Library
-Erased all Google related cache on the MB and in the browser.
-I've flushed my DNS cache.
-I have absolutely no extensions and I've turned the plugins option off.
- I reinstalled the OS on my 2017 to no avail.
- Google Chrome helper pops up 6-8 times in activity monitor and sometimes takes up more memory than Chrome itself. (I have the 32gb option)
-I also noticed the helper pop up when trying Vivaldi.
-I tried it with and without Flash installed.
- Tried it with and without the Dark Mode.
- I even reset SRM and NVRAM on my latest laptop (as apart of my continued trouble shooting)

I've scoured the interwebz, Google & Apple forums, and even Stackoverflow - with no luck. So, if any of you masters of the Apple have an idea...pleaseeeeee let me know :)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
must be some common denominator between your 2 macbooks, to have this issue. some other app perhaps? hard to figure it out from here, but i use chrome a lot (and have for years), and both my macs, and no such issue... which suggests something else you're running. anything in your login items? might be worth rebooting, opening ONLY chrome, and working for a while (& keeping an eye on activity monitor)....

Reactions: persuasiveghost

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Title and problem:
"Google Chrome freezing constantly"

Solution:
STOP USING Chrome, and use something else.
It's a resource hog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.