Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Hey guys, lately my Google Chrome has been Sluggish and has Delayed Typing on Mac OS High Sierra. I had a similar problem in Sierra 10.12 so I hoped upgrading would solve it but no luck.

When I open it or try to open new tabs there is always a delay. In gmail as well typing an email there is a delay where I type and then all of a sudden all the words start to appear.

Don't know what caused this, I had never had a problem until a month or so ago. I cleared my cache/history ,did a clean install, and everything. Installed and reinstalled. Even cleaned out my bookmarks thinking that may be it.

Not sure what to do? I have a fully specd out Late 2017 Retina Macbook Pro 15 Inch.

Anyone have any solutions? Is this common?

Reactions: xfitkitten

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Hey guys, lately my Google Chrome has been Sluggish and has Delayed Typing on Mac OS High Sierra. I had a similar problem in Sierra 10.12 so I hoped upgrading would solve it but no luck.

When I open it or try to open new tabs there is always a delay. In gmail as well typing an email there is a delay where I type and then all of a sudden all the words start to appear.

Don't know what caused this, I had never had a problem until a month or so ago. I cleared my cache/history ,did a clean install, and everything. Installed and reinstalled. Even cleaned out my bookmarks thinking that may be it.

Not sure what to do? I have a fully specd out Late 2017 Retina Macbook Pro 15 Inch.

Anyone have any solutions? Is this common?

In my experience, both Chrome and Firefox are crap on Retina Macs since the first one came out. I've never been able to use them without swearing at them and going back to Safari after 10 minutes. They're just poorly optimized.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I’m beginning to think Chrome is bad no matter what Mac you use…too much of a resource hog…and it’s gotten worse in the last year. On my 2008 MacBook all I have to do is go to a website and the fans go nuts. Been using the Maxthon browser.

xfitkitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
Baltimore, MD
I am having the same issue. Crazy annoying, it's really bad when using gmail. Just tried Safari and it works fine so it must be a Chrome issue. Fingers crossed that they figure out a fix as I don't relish the thought of having to move everything I have set up in Chrome over to Safari. Thanks for at least confirming that I'm not nuts!

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
No matter which browser you like, Safari works best on macs unfortunately. Although Firefox Quantum is the best FF has been in a long time.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I’m beginning to think Chrome is bad no matter what Mac you use…too much of a resource hog…and it’s gotten worse in the last year. On my 2008 MacBook all I have to do is go to a website and the fans go nuts. Been using the Maxthon browser.
It used to work flawlessly don't know what happened as of late!
I am having the same issue. Crazy annoying, it's really bad when using gmail. Just tried Safari and it works fine so it must be a Chrome issue. Fingers crossed that they figure out a fix as I don't relish the thought of having to move everything I have set up in Chrome over to Safari. Thanks for at least confirming that I'm not nuts!
Oh man, Gmail is definitely bad. Lag like crazy. Ya Safari works great which is sad, Chrome needs to step up. Likwise, thanks for confirming for me that I am not going nuts. keep me posted on your end if anything changes, did you try a fresh install or anything?
No matter which browser you like, Safari works best on macs unfortunately. Although Firefox Quantum is the best FF has been in a long time.

Chrome used to be good. Firefox not fan of UI. Safari is even worse UI wise.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Every time I open Chrome it puts a google startup file in one of my launch agent folders.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Does a restart temporarily fix it? If so, this could be what’s causing your trouble:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ot-work-after-resume-from-long-sleep.2076334/

There’s a lengthy thread over on the Chromium dev forums about GPU acceleration issues they’re having with High Sierra, and the bug in that thread causes the whole OS, including typing, to lag when the GPU is under load after a 2016/2017 MBP has been asleep.

No this is a separate problem. Unrelated
Every time I open Chrome it puts a google startup file in one of my launch agent folders.
Hmm interesting, any idea why?
Use something other than Chrome... !

I hate safari and firefox so trying to make chrome work here.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Some update posted somewhere else which seemed to help me:

I am having the same issue. Chrome lags so much that it's basically unusable. I found some related article that might be the cause for the lag:

http://scaleup.us/2017/11/09/high-sierra-slow-chromefirefox-issues/#disqus_thread

However in the comments, the author states that the latest 10.13.2 solves the lag problem. I am on 10.13.2 and I still have the lag issue.

I am using a 4k monitor with my 2016 MBP w/ TouchBar in clamshell mode and experiencing the lag.

I tried using chrome without an external monitor and its fast and responsive and seems really normal. I don't know what the deal is but Apple needs to fix this.

Me = I don't use external monitor so I know that is not my problem but I use my rMBP in scaled MORE SPACE mode but once I put it to default I actually noticed an improvement in Chrome. Maybe this IS the problem. But is that on APPLES side or Chromes? I would presume Chrome since there are so few people apparently having this problem?

ZzBoG

macrumors member
May 7, 2006
Same exact issue - Chrome is horrible on the external monitor, works fine on the internal. Even changing the screen resolution to recommended from 4K won't help

I tried with dGPU (750M) and eGPU (1080) and it's the same. I wonder what can we do about it - hopefully there is a developer on the Chrome team somewhere who's using Macbook Pro with external display.

tah2

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2018
Denver
I hate safari and firefox so trying to make chrome work here.

Not sure why. Google has done a good job marketing Chrome. But keep in mind Chrome was based on Apples Safari webkit, til they forked a year ago. But Apples javascript engine has been crushing Chrome's V8 for years now.

We are javascript application Devs. Safari is 2-3 TIMES faster than Chrome in a lot of key respects. Don't use Chrome. Its terrible. The latest Firefox quantum is the first reasonable alternative. Its pretty good.

But Safari crushes everyone. Do the benchmarks.
[doublepost=1515259582][/doublepost]
It used to work flawlessly don't know what happened as of late!
Chrome used to be good. Firefox not fan of UI. Safari is even worse UI wise.

100% disagree. Chrome uses so much vertical real-estate with its tab-bar window bar, that it is frustrating to use. Safari is simple and clean. But honestly they are just web-browsers. And not that different.

Use Safari, it crushes Chrome performance, and has for 4-5 years. Interestingly, Compare a iPhone to average Android device web performance. The iPhone is around 10X faster. (not kidding). 3X is due to Apples way-better ARM chips, and the other 3X is cause Safari way out performs Chrome. Making embedded Android devices is frustrating... cause apps seem great until they are on Android, then laaaaggg...

Its not just Chrome on Mac, Chrome is a dog everywhere.

Last edited:

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016

jashsonson

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
I had the same issues on my MPBr 10,1 (2012) after having a fresh install of macOS High Sierra (10.13.4). After that, Chrome (even Firefox or Safari) was really terrible to work with, which I need for my buisness as webdeveloper.

Finally I found the solution by installing alternative drivers for my nvidea graphic card (GeForce GT 650M). Here the link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-high-sierra-10-13-4-387-10-10-10-30.249039/

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I had the same issues on my MPBr 10,1 (2012) after having a fresh install of macOS High Sierra (10.13.4). After that, Chrome (even Firefox or Safari) was really terrible to work with, which I need for my buisness as webdeveloper.

Finally I found the solution by installing alternative drivers for my nvidea graphic card (GeForce GT 650M). Here the link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-high-sierra-10-13-4-387-10-10-10-30.249039/
Interesting. My problems stopped after a few recent updates.

MonsterDrinkerz18

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
Most of what everyone saying is 100% false. I uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it.

I did not clear cache or memory. I just deleted the app, emptied it from the recycle
bin and reinstalled...

Now I am typing in very fast on the browser bar

Reactions: Umarx

gachogavacho

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
I quite literally did this myself after searching this thread (experiencing the same issue but not a 4k). Fast scrolling, fast typing. Just deleted the application from the applications folder, trashed it and downloaded the new version of chrome, dragged the app from the DMG file to the apps folder and away I went. :D

Most of what everyone saying is 100% false. I uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it.

I did not clear cache or memory. I just deleted the app, emptied it from the recycle
bin and reinstalled...

Umarx

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2021
Bahrain

bin and reinstalled...

Thanks MD, This 100% worked for me on my Mini 8GB/i7/High Sierra, Right Away!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.