Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elmbeard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
I have been running GE 7.1.2.2041 happily for years on Snow Leopard, but now find that it no longer connects to the server. It seems that Google turned off server connections for any versions older than 7.1.8 after October 2020.

I then went into Google to find a standalone installer that supports supports Snow Leopard. The latest version of 7.3 only supports later than Mountain Lion, but one version 7.1.8.3036 uniquely supports Snow Leopard. I downloaded the dmg file, but Google has changed the usual drag into the app folder system for an installation wizard script that fails the installation after it has copied the files over. It seems that this script will only work with later versions of OS X.

Is there any way of bypassing the wretched pkg script and getting at the app file directly?

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Don't know about bypassing the pkg script, on the Puppy Linux forums they are reporting the same thing, with no obvious solution. Some say just use Google Maps, I find Maps is a not great solution compared to the GE app itself, besides, how WILL I explore Mars and the Solar system now? I did find out about this neat website through the Puppy Linux people:

uses OpenStreet maps, and has terrain, topo and satellite feature too. No, it's not GE, but its Open Source pretty cool and not tied to the evil that is the G.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Yes, they have disabled Google Earth old clients within the last year. My ancient 2009 version (forget the version number) on Windows broke too.

One thing you can try is changing the date and time on your computer to some time in late 2012 and then attempt the install. While this install seems to get further than the others, Snow Leopard has some bugs related to EPOCH and app install, so setting it back to 2012 is a potential fix. If that fails let me know and I will attempt to crack the pkg open and get the app out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.