Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Hi, I am new to the forums and am thinking of buying an eMac G4 1.25ghz (with tiger installed) and an iMac G3 400mhz also with tiger installed from the same craigslist seller, $50 for both. Would I be able to use Google hangouts and gmail on them (using the TenFourFox browser)? Would messages even send? Could anyone owning a machine with similar specs try it out? I rely on basic messaging and I don't care if it's slow I am sick of intel, windows, and modern intel macs meaning I will be heavily relying on the eMac for basic internet tasks. I appreciate the help!

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Hi, I am new to the forums and am thinking of buying an eMac G4 1.25ghz (with tiger installed) and an iMac G3 400mhz also with tiger installed from the same craigslist seller, $50 for both. Would I be able to use Google hangouts and gmail on them (using the TenFourFox browser)? Would messages even send? Could anyone owning a machine with similar specs try it out? I rely on basic messaging and I don't care if it's slow I am sick of intel, windows, and modern intel macs meaning I will be heavily relying on the eMac for basic internet tasks. I appreciate the help!
I've never tried hangouts but Gmail works just fine. You might want to use the simple HTML view

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
The eMac will run Leopard with TenFourFox/TFFBox and LeopardWebkit for browsing and the native email-Client is capable of getting access to Gmail and iCloud IMAP-Mail.
The iMacG4 runs nice both with os9 or Panther/Tiger plus Classic, but you'll have to max out RAM. You may both use TFF with Tiger or Classilla in the Classic-environment ont Tiger/Panther/Jaguar.
Classilla will manage IMAP-email.
Look here for more informations:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-9-software.2147612/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-g3-workstation-wiki.2125444/#post-26200641

50$ for both the eMacG4 and the iMacG3 is a great price and makes it a no-brainer!
Have fun!

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
iChat connects to Hangouts just fine. Although you won't obviously be able to video call
Clicked this thread to say exactly that. :) Only caveat I had when I set my PB up to use iChat with GMail chat is that I had to change some setting to allow "insecure clients" or something along that line on my GMail account.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
iChat connects to Hangouts just fine. Although you won't obviously be able to video call
How would Hangouts work on iChat? Hangouts didn't exist until 2013 and I'm running 10.4.11 tiger, last updated in 2007.
[doublepost=1539698509][/doublepost]
If you install leopard you can use my google hangouts app found in this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/facebook-and-twitter-apps-for-tiger-leopard.2104852/
It's posted a few down from the top. Tiger will run the facebook and twitter apps however. Soundcloud, hangouts, and messenger require leopard.

Cheers.
I could upgrade the eMac to leopard, but hangouts didn't exist until 2013, leopard was last updated in 2009, so why would an app exist for an old os?

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
How would Hangouts work on iChat? Hangouts didn't exist until 2013 and I'm running 10.4.11 tiger, last updated in 2007
Because basically it is Gmail Chat, which is well supported in iChat

could upgrade the eMac to leopard, but hangouts didn't exist until 2013, leopard was last updated in 2009, so why would an app exist for an old os?
Have you read the thread? These aren't "apps" in common meaning

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Because basically it is Gmail Chat, which is well supported in iChat

Have you read the thread? These aren't "apps" in common meaning
gmail chat is actually different from hangouts, and no longer exists. before hangouts, there was gchat and when hangouts was introduced, google still kept gchat around until around 2017. I know how to get hangouts running on the eMac now, and if iChat does support the new hangouts, then it will also work on the older g3.

miksat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
gmail chat is actually different from hangouts, and no longer exists. before hangouts, there was gchat and when hangouts was introduced, google still kept gchat around until around 2017. I know how to get hangouts running on the eMac now, and if iChat does support the new hangouts, then it will also work on the older g3.
I'm 100% sure that hangouts uses google talk servers to send messages.
Screen shot 2018-10-17 at 10.36.11 PM.png

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Clicked this thread to say exactly that. :) Only caveat I had when I set my PB up to use iChat with GMail chat is that I had to change some setting to allow "insecure clients" or something along that line on my GMail account.
Coming back to this old thread, how do I set up this iChat which I've never used?
Can I still use it to connect to hangouts?
First it's asking me to create a non existant iChat account or sign in with AIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.